Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Default SJU-5/6 & SJU-17 differences?

Hi guys!

The SJU-5/6 and SJU-17 Hornet/Super Hornet/Goshawk/Tomcat ejection seats.

I have a hard time telling them apart! Anybody can let me in on the secrets?

Thanks a bunch!
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Slacker Action

The biggest give away for me is the shape of the headrest. The -17 has a different headrest than the earlier versions...
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I've seen things...

That is correct, the headrest is the biggest difference. The bucket is the same. For more info, checkout www.ejectionsite.com for more info. The SJU-17 is really just a Martin Baker Mk.14 seat. While the SJU-5/6 is a Mk.10.
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Slacker Action

Heh...didn't know the MB equivalences. That'll be handy to file away for future reference.
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have some 1/72 Quickboost seats that are simply labeled 'F/A-18 Hornet seat' by the Czech manufacturer. But even after studying the pics of the SJU-5/6 and SJU-17 on the ejection site the differences are hard to tell. Must be the scale.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Both photos Copyright - Dave Roof 2006-2009

Headrest portion completely different between the two seats:

SJU-5/6 in F/A-18A

SJU-17 NACES in F/A-18D

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Thread resurrection! So can I just use a couple of sju-5s in any f-18b? Or were different seats used at different times?
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Not an Admin Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
Thread resurrection! So can I just use a couple of sju-5s in any f-18b? Or were different seats used at different times?
You could use a couple of SJU-5's. They will look the part.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks Colin!
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM

Thread resurrection Pt II.

So after looking at early photos of the Full Scale Development (FSD) F-18As and TF-18As (aka F/A-18B), I've noticed something - the headbox/headrest/ parachute container looks really small compared to current SJU-5/6 seats in the F/A-18A/Bs.

-> I seem to remember that the old Verlinden seat having a smaller headbox/headrest/parachute container than any other Hornet seat.

-> The seat in the 1/48 Monogram Hornet kits was probably modelled on the ones used in the FSD jets. The headbox/ headrest/ parachute container on the kit seat is small.

-> The SJU-5 seat is the equivalent to the Martin-Baker Mk. 10 seat whose variants are used in the Rafale, Sea Harrier, MB-339, Alphajet, et al.

-> The FSD jets in later pictures (ie when turned over to NASA) have seats with the larger SJU-5 headbox/ headrest/ parachute container.

So here's my theory - the seats in the FSD jets may not have been the same as the F/A-18A/B seats that went to the fleet. The seats MAY have been STENCIL seats as used in the AV-8A/C. =OR= The headbox/ headrest/ parachute may have been originally smaller and enlarged prior to fleet introduction of the Hornet.

I found this - "...The Stencil SIIIS-3 series of seats was designed to meet the US Navy's requirement for the American AV-8A Harrier and ended up being used in the German Luftwaffe's Alpha Jet aircraft. It was also used at some time in the early F-117 Stealth production aircraft, the Navy F-18 prototype, and the early F-16 FSD aircraft..." on this page -> LINK

I can't find any further documentation to test this theory and I'm only trying to interpret 30+ year-old fuzzy images. Can anyone else verify or refute this information?

Last edited by John B; November 1st, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Thread revival again, who makes the most accurate SJU-5/6 in 1/48?
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Thread revival again...was wondering the same thing as Graves. I will say the True Details ones are not recommendable. They seem to combine elements of both the -5/6 and the -17 NACES. The top of the headrest has the hard "X" top of the NACES, vs. the correct soft cloth material. Have yet to try the Aires -5/6s, but they seem to do a pretty decent job with their NACES version. Then again, I'm no expert...
Old July 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

A great web-site for everything ejection seats:

http://www.ejectionsite.com/index.html

HTH!

"Stupidity is like nuclear power! It can be used for good or evil, and you don’t want to get any on you." Dilbert.

Flag Plot: My virtual model display shelf
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by graves_09 View Post
Thread revival again, who makes the most accurate SJU-5/6 in 1/48?

Quickboost and Aires (technically the same seats) make the most accurate SJU-5/6 and SJU-17 in 1/48 scale.

Aires 4216 SJU-5/6 with photo-etch harnesses/belts

Aires 4281 SJU-17 with photo-etch harnesses/belts

Quickboost 48001 SJU-5/6 with molded on harnesses/belts

Quickboost 48287 SJU-17 with molded on harnesses/belts** These seats have the canopy piercers specific to the F-14D and need to be modified to match those found on the F/A-18D or T-45.
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Thread resurrection Pt II.

So after looking at early photos of the Full Scale Development (FSD) F-18As and TF-18As (aka F/A-18B), I've noticed something - the headbox/headrest/ parachute container looks really small compared to current SJU-5/6 seats in the F/A-18A/Bs.

-> I seem to remember that the old Verlinden seat having a smaller headbox/headrest/parachute container than any other Hornet seat.

-> The seat in the 1/48 Monogram Hornet kits was probably modelled on the ones used in the FSD jets. The headbox/ headrest/ parachute container on the kit seat is small.

-> The SJU-5 seat is the equivalent to the Martin-Baker Mk. 10 seat whose variants are used in the Rafale, Sea Harrier, MB-339, Alphajet, et al.

-> The FSD jets in later pictures (ie when turned over to NASA) have seats with the larger SJU-5 headbox/ headrest/ parachute container.

So here's my theory - the seats in the FSD jets may not have been the same as the F/A-18A/B seats that went to the fleet. The seats MAY have been STENCIL seats as used in the AV-8A/C. =OR= The headbox/ headrest/ parachute may have been originally smaller and enlarged prior to fleet introduction of the Hornet.

I found this - "...The Stencil SIIIS-3 series of seats was designed to meet the US Navy's requirement for the American AV-8A Harrier and ended up being used in the German Luftwaffe's Alpha Jet aircraft. It was also used at some time in the early F-117 Stealth production aircraft, the Navy F-18 prototype, and the early F-16 FSD aircraft..." on this page -> LINK

I can't find any further documentation to test this theory and I'm only trying to interpret 30+ year-old fuzzy images. Can anyone else verify or refute this information?
More thread revival again. I have a very detailed walkaround of the F-18A from Sept 1978 when it was rolled out and the seat in it is most definitely an SJU-5 with a standard sized headrest.