Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > F15 Group Build > Project Threads

Notices

Unread August 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Default 1/48 Tamiya F-15, 318th FIS.

Hi,

I hope to complete my Tamiya classic as a 318th FIS F-15 with Hasegawa's ASAT missile.
It will thus be something of a "what-if" model. The 318th FIS never got the ASAT's and even if they had, the nice early markings would have been replaced by the plain TC tailcode by then.
I think I'll leave off the underwing pylons. I know that the photo of the sole test launch of the ASAT shows the F-15 with underwing tanks, but I'd like to build it as if it's prepared for an exceptional climb to hit a high-flying satelite.
It's also an opportunity for a build that shows just the airframe without these pylons.
I seem be having some Photobucket problems right now, but I figure many of you can imagine a half built F-15 model.
Photobucket didn't work, so I went with Flickr.

Tamiya F-15-1 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Last edited by Stefan Buysse; August 18th, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added a photo
Unread August 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Sargent

Cool plan.

I have a similar cross kit planned in 1/72 using Esci bits on a Hasegawa F-15 to do a 318th ASAT jet with the blue/black compass rose on the tail.
Unread November 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Hi,

At IPMS Belgium national convention, I found the ancient Expert's choice decal 48-15 "318th FIS F-15's".
The copyright says "1986". I bought it hoping to get a real white circle in the compass rose instead of the Hasegawa decal that tends to be off-white.
Sadly some of the dark blue stripes are slightly off-register and enter the white circle.
I almost decided to go with the Hasegawa decal again when I noticed that the Expert's Choice blue is more like the 318th FIS photos than Hasegawa's.
Also, the blue nameplates under the canopy are longer and correpond more with the photos.
So, unless thay break up, I'll use the Expert's Choice decals.

The wings have now been attached to the model, but I'll wait with photos until I have something worthwhile to show.

I'm still hoping to finish this before 2013.

Cheers, Stefan.
Unread December 16th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Hi,

A bit more progress...
The landing gear has been found, it was hiding in a box with some F-4 parts.
The paintjob is far from finished, the ASAT missile will soak up some more white coats.
The tailfeathers are from Hasegawa F-16's.

Cheers, Stefan.
Unread December 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Let me know if you need any refs. I have access to one of their birds in the airpark of JBLM. Might not be able to get back there till after the first of the year, but I can get them for you. I have a few over-all shots of it now.

Aaron
Unread December 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the kind offer, Aaron.
But with Jake's book and the big photograph on the Hasegawa box, my references already exceed my modelling skills.

Is "JBLM" Joint Base Lewis McChord?
I knew you were near McChord AFB and that Fort Lewis was in Washington, but I didnt know they had turned it into a Joint Base.

Cheers, Stefan.
Unread December 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Yes, they turned it into a joint base back in 2010. Really, in all practicality it already was...The boudaries of both bases butted right up against each other, so (physically) it was just a matter of taking down a few fences.

Aaron