Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Helicopter Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread April 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Default AH-1Z 1/48 Italeri

It was too cold to work in the barn tonight and I've gotten bored/AMS with tweaking the AH-1W so I thought I'd shift to a completely different subject for awhile, the AH-1Z. This project is really more of a scratch build than a tweak since this kit came out while the prototype AH-1Z was still being drastically refined but I'll try to document what needs to be done in case someone is considering buying the Italeri AH-1Z (kit number 858) hoping that they would get a production AH-1Z OOB.

Sorry to say, you won't get a production AH-1Z OOB. The Italeri AH-1Z is basically their AH-1W with an extra sprue added containing the new four bladed main rotor and tail rotor, larger stub wings, an APU fairing on top of the engine cowls, and some end caps for the horizontal stabilizers. So far it looks like I'll be able to use the rotors and stub wings with modifications and the rest of the AH-1Z unique parts will pretty much have to be created from scratch.

Aside from adding a lot of new bumps and lumps, that will mean building entirely new major pieces like the upper cowlings, turned exhausts, cockpits, stubwings and fairings, horizontal stabilizers, skids, nose and sight, and side fairings/sponsons behind the ammo bays.

Fortunately, I have already scratch-built new turned exhausts and that was the most daunting part for me so hopefully the rest will be less intimidating. I was planing to use the turned exhausts on an AH-1W kit (they are interchangeable) but like I said I needed a break from Ws.

I've got a lot of walkarounds, drawings, and other references I'll be using and sharing throughout the progress of this build and thread.

Last edited by SuperCobra; April 12th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Unread April 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM

First thing I should cover is what this kit is, or rather what it is not.

I've heard it referred to as a 4BW. I originally thought it was closer to the first AH-1Z prototype. It is actually somewhat in between.

The 4BW was a basic (non-NTS) AH-1W with a 4 bladed main rotor (off a Bell 412 if I recall correctly). The only other difference was it had the horizontal stabilizers capped and moved further aft. It had regular stubwings, a regular nose, and the standard two-blade tail rotor. It was just a demonstrator for a four bladed system. Later on a NTS style nose and larger stubwings were added. First flight early 90s IIRC. (first pic - Bell photo).

The AH-1Z prototype had a new nose, new 4 bladed main and tail rotor, enlarged fairings up top (including an APU fairing), square skid crosstubes, and larger stubwings. It had a regular cockpit. First flight late 2000? (second picture - mine)

The production AH-1Zs have all of the above, plus new glass cockpits, turned exhausts, larger stabs sans end caps, added bulges aft of the ammo bays, and a bunch of other bumps and lumps. (third picture - USMC or Bell?)

The Italeri kit has the 4-bladed main and tail rotor, larger stubwings, horizontal stabilizers with endcaps (but not relocated aft like on the 4BW and prototype and not larger like on the production Zulu. It has the APU fairing like on the Zulu and Z prototype but not the larger forward upper fairing.

So basically, the kit has more than the 4BW (APU fairing, larger stubwings, and four-bladed tail-rotor) but less than the Z prototype (old nose, no enlarged top fairing, no new skids, etc) and falls really short of production Zs.

Last edited by SuperCobra; April 14th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Unread November 14th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Wow, this was getting interesting... any updates?
R/
Robert
Unread November 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
Wow, this was getting interesting... any updates?
R/
Robert
Thanks but sorry - not updates forthcoming. I got sidetracking on this and then Kitty Hawk announced their 1/48 AH-1Z. Looks like that one is coming out soon so no use investing any time in the Italeri AH-1Z since it needs so much work.

I was going to pursue finishing the turned exhaust (TE) to backdate Italeri's 1/48 AH-1W into an NTS with TE but Olimp has since come out with their AH-1W exterior update set with that includes the TE. Sadly, there isn't an interior NTS set available so you can't build a complete 1/48 NTS just using their set (the front cockpit in the NTS bird is significantly different than a basic AH-1W).
Unread January 26th, 2015, 12:41 AM

Cool, I can make my Italeri AH-1Z into a W, and hopefully the Kittyhawk Zulu will be closer to real.
Unread April 1st, 2015, 07:54 AM

I have heard that Floyd Werner (Mr. Cobra) collaborated with Kitty Hawk on their 'Whiskey' kit... in the box, it certainly looks 'ugly' enough to be right. Perhaps this thread can 'pick up' with the KH kit instead (and get a name tweak in the process...) Cheers!
Robert
Unread April 1st, 2015, 08:26 AM

Default KH AH-1W?

I have heard that Floyd Werner (Mr. Cobra) collaborated with Kitty Hawk on their 'Whiskey' kit... in the box, it certainly looks 'ugly' enough to be right. Perhaps this thread can 'pick up' with the KH kit instead (and get a name tweak in the process...) Cheers!
Robert
Unread April 2nd, 2015, 10:07 PM

I did help and had a lot to do with the final product. Hope you like it. I take full responsibility. I think it is really great, but I missed a few things.

It has three things I wish we could have done better. Two of them are non-issues depending on what armament you add. The first thing is the seven shot pods are mounted on an angled ejector rack. Just use the same ejector for the 19-shot pod. The other thing is the ammo bay on the right side should have an ammo box. I missed that. Werner's Wings is working on that.

The only other thing the turret should be opened on the bottom to expose the turret assembly. Werner's Wings is working on that too.

We are also working on something else for the Zulu. Hopefully we'll have that soon.
Floyd
Unread April 5th, 2015, 04:36 PM

We are also working on something else for the Zulu. Hopefully we'll have that soon.
Floyd[/quote]

Oooh, I hope that it is a folded main rotor support set!

Or, a corrected TSS

Or AGM-114's with clear noses

Or, a more detailed tail rotor gearbox unit

cheers,

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy; April 6th, 2015 at 02:40 AM.
Unread April 8th, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Floyd
Quote:
Oooh, I hope that it is a folded main rotor support set!

Or, a corrected TSS

Or AGM-114's with clear noses

Or, a more detailed tail rotor gearbox unit

cheers,

Pappy
Off the top of my head, to add to those listed in the two posts above:
a correct port ammo bay, and ammo bay doors, and engine bay doors, and starboard engine, and swashplate/scissors/drivelink, and rear seat instrument cowl/panel, pilot side consoles, and bulkhead/avionics shelf behind pilot's seat.

Despite those, still a very good looking kit. Most of the areas KH got wrong are due to a severe lack of available non-proprietary references for those areas.

I may start a new tweaks thread if for no other reason than to link to Pappy's build. He caught and documented most of the problems.
Unread April 8th, 2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCobra View Post
Off the top of my head, to add to those listed in the two posts above:
a correct port ammo bay, and ammo bay doors, and engine bay doors, and starboard engine, and swashplate/scissors/drivelink, and rear seat instrument cowl/panel, pilot side consoles, and bulkhead/avionics shelf behind pilot's seat.

Despite those, still a very good looking kit. Most of the areas KH got wrong are due to a severe lack of available non-proprietary references for those areas.

I may start a new tweaks thread if for no other reason than to link to Pappy's build. He caught and documented most of the problems.
Actually it was SuperCobra and others that caught the problems, I just had a crack at fixing them. I am sure the aftermarket guys will put my meagre efforts to shame!

cheers,

Pappy
Unread May 13th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Actually it was SuperCobra and others that caught the problems, I just had a crack at fixing them. I am sure the aftermarket guys will put my meagre efforts to shame!

cheers,

Pappy
Well Eduard is the first to come out with aftermarket. And they definitely didn't put yours to shame although they may have used your build to catch some of their errors. Their corrected avionics in the port ammo bay looks a lot closer to the real thing than KH's but looks nothing like yours. They also have the work platforms on the engine and ammo bay doors. Other than that, I really don't see much value added in their exterior set. I think KH's exterior detail is pretty good on the rest and the Eduard stuff isn't much different. In fact, it looks a little clunky when applied over the existing KH details (at least in their build pictures).

Their interior set really doesn't add much either. It doesn't fix the issues KH missed in the cockpit. I don't like the pre-painted seatbelts with really gaudy stitches. I also don't like the pre-painted IPs with "powered-on" MFDs with fictitious displays since most modelers build "static" models. I guess you could always paint the pre-painted IPs but that would kind of defeat the point.

Nice try Eduard but if you want to make Cobra guys happy, re-release your PE for the 1/32 AH-1G - I'd buy a Gruber load of those.

http://www.eduard.com/store/eduard/p...rior-1-48.html

http://www.eduard.com/store/eduard/p...681bc5d9ff5add
Unread June 28th, 2015, 07:41 PM

There will be new items for this kit at the Nats. Three to be exact. Two are mentioned here. Modeler will be happy. No further hints.
Floyd
Unread June 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM

Since you're moving the Zulu thread, how about making this one "how to build an NTS Whiskey"?
I'm not finding a lot of info on what differentiates the early from NTS Cobras.

cheers,
Mike
Unread July 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Default Third thing from Floyd @ the IPMS NATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd S. Werner, Jr. View Post
I did help and had a lot to do with the final product. Hope you like it. I take full responsibility. I think it is really great, but I missed a few things.

It has three things I wish we could have done better. Two of them are non-issues depending on what armament you add. The first thing is the seven shot pods are mounted on an angled ejector rack. Just use the same ejector for the 19-shot pod. The other thing is the ammo bay on the right side should have an ammo box. I missed that. Werner's Wings is working on that.

The only other thing the turret should be opened on the bottom to expose the turret assembly. Werner's Wings is working on that too.

Floyd
I heard drop tanks!
R/ Robert