Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > Review Section

Notices

Unread January 31st, 2016, 09:45 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Default CMK 1/48 Scale GBU-12 Paveway II # 4315

This review is for the Czech Master's Kit 1/48 scale GBU-12 Paveway II kit number 4315.

There are two bombs packages with the mold plug at the aft end of the airfoil group, the guidance fins (forward wings) are provided as separate pieces. The gimbals are molded in the plug attached to the bomb and are ease to remove. Also provided are photo-etch RBF Flags, photo-etch attaching hardware for the flags and a nice decal sheet. The painting instructions call out RAL paint numbers but that should be an issue.

The molding is crisp with no flash or mold lines. The detail is great with two exceptions;

1) These are not GBU-12 Paveway II's, they are actually GBU-12F/B (or can be painted up as GBU-52/B) Paveway IV/DMLGB's! This is a big deal if you want to hang these on something that flew prior to 2010 (in the case of the F-18E/F Super Hornet 2015). Basically, if you are going to put these on something other then a AV-8B, F-18A-D, F-16, F-15E, A-10 or F-18E/F (after 2015) you are SOL.

While you can sand off of the Paveway III mod (wiring conduit, GPS Antenna's and wiring conduit bands) it's harder to over come issue number 2.

2) The wing latch on the airfoil group (AFG) is molded on the wrong side, it is molded on the right side of the AFG (when viewed from the rear) while it should be on the left side. This issue is harder to over come due to the battery firing device guide and plug on the guidance section is molded at the correct 12 o'clock position so you can't just simple rotate the bomb. Also, there are bomb lugs molded at the 12 o'clock position. There are two ways to fix this;

a) Cut the guidance section off and rotate the bomb and AFG 180
degrees, cut off the bomb lugs and either re-position them or just
leave them off if you are going to hang on a pylon.

b) Cut off the AFG and rotate it 180 degrees, this easier said then
done since the fins on the AFG extend over the bomb body so
cutting the AFG off the bomb body will be a challenge.

I purchased this item for $15.99 (plus shipping and handling) since it was advertised as GBU-12 Paveway II's (the packaging clearly states they are GBU-12 Paveway II's, they are not) and that is what I needed for a build (VFA-211 F-18F from 2012) I'm doing for a retired Ordie friend but since the Super Hornet wasn't cleared for DMLGB's until mid 2015 these won't do me any good. I can just sand off the Paveway IV mod but the AFG latch is a show stopper for me so I'm basically out $16 and will have find another set of GBU-12 Paveway II's (ordered the Eduard set since it look like the AFG's are molded separately and hopefully they are not PW III's).

Just want to spread the word for buyer beware. If you are looking for GBU-12C/B or D/B Paveway II's, the CMK kit #4315 are not what you are looking for.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; February 1st, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Unread February 1st, 2016, 06:48 PM

Hey, Gerry, if you need a couple GBU-12 I have a pair of Amraam Line risin ones that I don't need. They're yours if you want'em.
Unread February 1st, 2016, 07:51 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hegedus View Post
Hey, Gerry, if you need a couple GBU-12 I have a pair of Amraam Line risin ones that I don't need. They're yours if you want'em.
Thanks but I already ordered the Eduard ones so I'll go with those, hopefully, they are GBU-12 PWII's like they are supposed to be.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Unread February 1st, 2016, 08:37 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Thanks but I already ordered the Eduard ones so I'll go with those, hopefully, they are GBU-12 PWII's like they are supposed to be.
They are.......I have several of them.
Unread February 2nd, 2016, 06:34 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Roof View Post
They are.......I have several of them.

Unread February 4th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Follow up

Just got the Eduard GBU-12 set (#648 155), they look great and are exactly what I needed. The AFG is separate so you can position the AFG latch in any position required (when loaded on a TER/ITER/DITER the latch is at the 12 o'clock position) and the bombs come with two gimbals (one with over, one without).

One other thing I noticed about the CMK GBU-12F/B's, they are missing one of the bands that holds the wiring conduit one, there are four on the real thing, on the CMK's, only three.

Highly recommend the Eduard set, the CMK, only if you want a GBU-12 Paveway IV.