Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread May 8th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Regular schmoe...

Default Academy 1/48 F-4C, Col Olds

I just started into this over the weekend. Looks to be a nice kit...though some of the assembly sequence is a bit questionable.

It starts with the cockpit as usual and then the NLG wheel well assembly...where I immediately knocked the NLG door actuator rod loose. Luckily it landed on the work bench and is in stowage until the final assembly sequence.

I shot the tub gray and masked the console and instrument panels for dark gray paint. This is kind of a tedious process, but I find it easier and more relaxing than painting the instrument casings individually with a fine tip brush...I can never get them sharp enough. Masking them off and shooting them with a thin layer of paint looks much nicer in the end.

The sidewalls, surprisingly enough, have no detail provided. I dug into the spares box for some circuit breaker panels and boxes to busy up the sides.

While all that mess was drying, I cleaned up the fuselage assembly. I love how Academy broke down the parts on this kit, no centerline seam to clean up. However, the refueling door panel area needed a little fillling and seams removed. I used plastic card to fill one seam, and CA glue the others. Prior to sanding on it I "back braced" the panel so that it wouldn't crack or break free during the process.

When all was said and done, I re-scribed panel lines and re-riveted lost rivet detail with my "Rivet-R".

The steps following the cockpit assembly takes you to assembling the MLG wheel wells and main strut installation. I don't like the sound of that last part, but after dry fitting and looking things over, I really find no alternative but to go along for the ride and just be cautious of those MLG struts from then on out.
I do like the way the struts fit into the assembly, very solid and uncompromising alignment. Here they are assembled but unpainted;

Along with the lower wing and MLG wells being joined, they have you getting the exhaust and intakes attached as well. I got the intakes together and glued in place, as well as the exhaust. Through dry fitting, I found that I can glue the exhausts in place during final assembly and not have to worry about having them in the way during painting;

Finally, it was time to get back to the cockpit. This is about where she sits at the moment...masking removed and ready for a dry brushing, detail painting, and a wash;

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!

Last edited by Whitey; May 8th, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Unread May 9th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Rank Amatuer

Nice progress. I'm looking forward to the end result, going by the SHAR you built recently, this Phantom will be a good 'un too.
Unread May 18th, 2017, 08:38 PM

Default Cockpit details

Whitey,

I'm building the Academy N right now and was shocked not to see any sidewall detail as well. I had an old Blackbox F-4B cockpit, which has more than enough detail. I was able to chop up the side pieces and got them to fit without too much of a hassle. Check it out if it isn't too late.

I just read this thread for the first time and couldn't help but hear a thick Boston accent in my head.

Chris
Unread May 19th, 2017, 09:22 AM

Work looks good so far. I'll be watching this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
...where I immediately knocked the NLG door actuator rod loose. Luckily it landed on the work bench and is in stowage until the final assembly sequence.
I did the same on a B model I'm working on. I wish they had engineered the assembly different. At least I'll know better on a future build.
Unread May 25th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer25k View Post
Whitey,

I'm building the Academy N right now and was shocked not to see any sidewall detail as well. I had an old Blackbox F-4B cockpit, which has more than enough detail. I was able to chop up the side pieces and got them to fit without too much of a hassle. Check it out if it isn't too late.

I just read this thread for the first time and couldn't help but hear a thick Boston accent in my head.

Chris
Haaa...haaa...thanks dude.

Yeah, nice kit but not sure why they left the side walls empty. Oh well.

I'm still idling on with the project...last few weeks have been busy with graduations and the Warbirds airshow down in VA. No big plans for the holiday weekend (other than raising a glass to the fallen) so I should get the cockpit done and some major assemblies put together.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread June 1st, 2017, 04:14 PM
Regular schmoe...

Update time...

Sorry, been slacking on this, end of school year busy..son graduating college (UMaine, Engineering) and daughter graduating high school (on to Stephenson for RN...) running around all over.

I got the cockpit finished, but neglected to get pics before stuffing it into the fuselage. I'll try to get some detail shots later. Meanwhile, here's where she sits;

Fuselage and wing section joined.

The instructions have you "butt join" the fwd underside of the fuselage to the center wing section prior to joining the whole assembly to the upper fuselage. I didn't like the sound of that so I attached the forward section after gluing the wing section in place. Don't try it in reverse order or the intakes will not fit past the fwd lower fuselage.

I glued the front section and will clamp and glue working my way back to lining up the underside seam;

I've managed to get all that done without breaking the main landing gear off!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread June 1st, 2017, 06:04 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

I was wondering how you were gonna build those wheel wells w/or w/out the struts being installed. Have you thought about the seats? I'm gonna start working on the same kit and noticed the early "C's" had different seat types than the standard MB F-4 seat. Appears to be Mk5.

Unread June 1st, 2017, 09:22 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-15ERJ145 View Post
I was wondering how you were gonna build those wheel wells w/or w/out the struts being installed. Have you thought about the seats? I'm gonna start working on the same kit and noticed the early "C's" had different seat types than the standard MB F-4 seat. Appears to be Mk5.

Yeah man, the seats are definitely different, Hypersonic Models does some Air Force seats (https://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/); They drop right on in and fit great.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/p...ejection-seats

They're MB Mk. H5s, they do Navy version and Air Force version. They do a few other items for the Academy kit too, air scoops, horizontal stabs, canopy details...real nice stuff. I picked them up at the Nats last year, but ordering from them is easy enough and items arrive in a couple weeks (They're in England).

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread June 1st, 2017, 09:26 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Thanks!!
Unread June 15th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Regular schmoe...

Update time...I'm moving slow on this, mojo been lacking...

But any way here's where it's at, first off the cockpit. I didn't get a pic of the finished cockpit previously so here's a somewhat fuzzy look at it;

Mainly I've been wrapped up in getting the intakes painted and assembled;

The fit wasn't too bad, but there was a bit of a gap on the aft end of the outside of the intake assemblies. I used some thin plastic card to fill them and will go back over the area with some Mr. Surfacer.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread June 17th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Kitbasher

Your attention to detail is inspirational. Thanks for sharing your progress with us!
Unread July 24th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Regular schmoe...

About time I updated this thread, I'm still "In Work" on this. First off, yup...all my Photobucket pics are gone as you can see...bastards.

Anyway, I'm into the painting stage at this point so I'll pick up there. I haven't built anything with too elaborate a camofluage scheme in a long time, mainly because I simply did not have a proper airbrush for the job, and also my main interests just fall into the more "boring" finishes of Naval aircraft, demo teams, and overall single color finishes. I've been shooting with an Iwata Revolution CR with a 0.5mm needle for about 10+ years. It does the job but is not going to give me the tight lines I really need to do camo. So, last year I treated myself to an Iwata High Performance, Plus HP-BC Plus with a 0.3mm and a really smooth trigger action. It's nice, shoots a pencil thin line, but I still have a lot to learn about control...and patience!

I hit it with a preshade on the panel lines, it was a good way to get a feel for the airbrush:

Followed by the underside. I'm using Gunze Aqueous for all the colors and I'll use Alclad for the "metal" areas. I still need to dirty up the underside a lot more

After that it was on to laying out the scheme:

The base colors are down and where I'm at now is the post shading phase of things. I'll start hitting individual panels with varying shades of paint. I'm building Col Olds' "SCAT XXVII" and it was pretty heavily weathered, not sure how much I'll beat it up but I'll try not to over do it.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread July 24th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Regular schmoe...

As I mentioned above, I'm going to build Olds' "SCAT XXVII" (aircraft 829), and want to depict it as she looked in March of '67 on a mission to bomb the Thai Nguyen steels mills near Hanoi:

As you see, the load out calls for Mk. 82 Snake eye high drag bombs. I dug through my "Ordies" box and came up with 6 of them, from Monogram AV-8A kits. They looked too small to me...so I went ahead and picked up a Hasewgawa Weapons Set "A". Noticeably different in size:

...and of course, I gotta pose a figure of the good Col himself with it when done!

Though packaged as a "F-105 Pilot" I think we all can see the resemblance...also he's wearing the wrong vest and harness for a Thud Driver.

Another note, I'm using Hypersonic's canopy detail set, and their stuff is great, perfect fit!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread July 24th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Too many kits....

Looks good dude. Gonna look cool when its done.

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread July 31st, 2017, 03:26 PM
Regular schmoe...

"As you see, the load out calls for Mk. 82 Snake eye high drag bombs. I dug through my "Ordies" box and came up with 6 of them, from Monogram AV-8A kits. They looked too small to me...so I went ahead and picked up a Hasewgawa Weapons Set "A". Noticeably different in size:"

EDIT: I was recently informed that the Monogram bombs are correct...for Mk. 81 250 lb bombs. So don't toss them out anytime soon!

I need the Mk. 82 500 lb Snakeyes for my build regardless.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread July 31st, 2017, 08:31 PM

Hey Whitey,
Camo looks awesome! I'm getting ready to start Showtime 100 and I concur with you about the Canopy detail set from Hypersonic.....it's awesome, but I'm going to have to modify it slightly for the ZM kit that I'm using. Looking forward to more of your build!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread August 3rd, 2017, 12:35 PM
Regular schmoe...

Painted some metal ,masked wheel wells, speed brake wells and painted them. Did a little more messing with shading with a brown/black mix. Next up is an oil wash and on to decals!

Did a quick test fit of the stabs;

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread August 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM

Looking good!
Unread August 3rd, 2017, 10:03 PM

Out of curiosity - shouldn't the inside of the speed brake wells be white as well - or do you have another reference. I ask in that I'd never seen anything other than white in there. I do like how your project is coming along Trying IMGUR here... This is an online copy of a Matt Waki painting that I helped him with the composition on that same raid. I have a print signed by Matt, Col. Olds and a nice little personal note. There will be a large Tamiya Phantom done some day in those markings PS - Matt was obsessive about getting details correct in his paintings (markings, weather etc. He talked at great length with Robin to get everything right).

Last edited by GEH737; August 3rd, 2017 at 10:19 PM.
Unread August 3rd, 2017, 10:03 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
Hey Whitey,
Camo looks awesome! I'm getting ready to start Showtime 100 and I concur with you about the Canopy detail set from Hypersonic.....it's awesome, but I'm going to have to modify it slightly for the ZM kit that I'm using. Looking forward to more of your build!
Oh man, I have decals and a Hasegawa "J" model for "Showtime 100"...I may go ahead and get a 1/144 MiG-17 and do a forced perspective diorama of Cunningham's May 10, 1972 adventures.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM