Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Impact Decals

Notices

Unread February 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Default 48-004 VMF/VMA-225 Props

Well we have our newest sheet back from Cartograf and it should be on the site in a few days. It covers VMF/VMA-225 Corsairs and Skyraiders from 1943 to 1958. A/C covered are an F4U-1, F4U-4, AU-1, AD-4B, and an AD-6.

One thing I would like to note is that the intermediate blue on the F4U-1 fuselage national insignia (for the modified national insignia version) in the above pic was removed on the final version of the sheet.

The jets will follow shortly!

Kevin

http://www.impacthobbydecals.com

Last edited by av8iimech; February 11th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Unread February 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
S/F not just a saying

Thumbs up

My fleet of Skyraiders thanks you.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread February 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Slacker Action

Send a message via Skype™ to Spaced

I think I just pooped my pants...

I've been wanting a GOOD blue Skyraider for a long while now.

This will be a must buy for me.
Unread February 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MARINE A-1"S

-----==---------
/\ ---------==-----
|MQ _\_________/|
\ ____o o o [] [_] [ \
\<____)_______[_]__[_)
Unread February 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to marine4 ever Send a message via Skype™ to marine4 ever

holy schnikies!!! I've been waiting for a Gull grey skyraider!!!! someone made a set waaayyyy back when. now i've gotta have this set!!!!

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

semper fi
Dan

--Gen. Charles C. Krulak, USMC
Unread February 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
S/F not just a saying

Order placed.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread February 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM

BOO-YAH!!!!!!

Nice!

"....all you see is the 1% that is public..." (Read: "you stupid peons.") .
Unread February 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to marine4 ever Send a message via Skype™ to marine4 ever

placed my order today!!!!! God help me!

semper fi
Dan

Unread February 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Awesome!

Current Projects:1/350 Bronco USS Seawolf
1/1000 Polar Light Klingon built as Romulan "Kestral"
3x 1/1000 Polar Light USS Enterprises
Unread February 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Alright, I am showing my prop ignorance here, but what specific kit (or conversions) do I need to make the blue Skyraider? (i.e. are there any modifications needed to be done on the Tamiya A-1H? Could an A-1J work?)

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by AH1Wsnake; February 15th, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Unread February 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM

IIRC the only thing i can see that needs change with the H is the armor need removal and perhaps the addition of a center wing pylon. the addition of the radar operators compartment door. I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time). I have a detail and scale ref. book i'll scan some pic's and send em if you want.

S/F
Dan

Last edited by marine4 ever; February 16th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Unread February 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM

No worries, Dan... I don't even have a kit yet, so it'd be premature to get into the details of it. I guess I was just curious to know if any major backdating needed to be done to the kitted Vietnam-era Skyraiders.

Unread February 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Hey guys,

For the AD-4B, start with the Tamiya A-1H kit. There is not alot of external differences between the AD-4B and AD-6 (A-1H). The biggest difference is the inboard pylons which are smaller on the AD-4B. A company called Model Design Construction produces these currently in their Early Skyraider backdate set MDA48015. They are also in the Cutting Edge Non-Armor conversion set for the Skyraider which I'm sure everyone knows is OOP. The armor plating is another major external difference betwee the A-1H and early model Skyraiders, BUT if you look closely at this pic of the -225 AD-4B it appears that it has the armor plating.... at least on the sides. Can not confirm if the plating was on the bottom.

The short pylons can also be obtained from the older AMT / Esci AD-4W kits. There are also some small differences in the pit but the only early skyraider pit is by Cutting Edge.

If for whatever reason you would start with the A-1J kit, the only other things you would have to do is remove the beacon from the top of the vert. stab. and source a bucket seat from somewhere as the A-1J kit has the ejection seat.

Well, that is all I can think of at the moment. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Kevin
Unread February 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
S/F not just a saying

For the armor plate, you could just sand it off, it may be less work than cutting up the kit for the CE set. As Kevin said some did have armor plating so wouldn't be wrong to leave it on. I want to say the J kit has the AF seat which is different than the USN/MC seat.

Didn't the early birds have two guns vs four guns?
Unread February 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
For the armor plate, you could just sand it off, it may be less work than cutting up the kit for the CE set. As Kevin said some did have armor plating so wouldn't be wrong to leave it on. I want to say the J kit has the AF seat which is different than the USN/MC seat.

nope the 4B birds had 4 20mm guns IIRC and the CE kit is a pain in the arse to work with( coming from personal experience).

Unread February 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post

You are correct sir, the J model has the AF style seat.

The early (AD-1, AD-2, AD-3) Skyraiders did have two 20mm cannons.... the second set of cannons was added on the -4 models.
Unread February 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH1Wsnake View Post
Alright, I am showing my prop ignorance here, but what specific kit (or conversions) do I need to make the blue Skyraider? (i.e. are there any modifications needed to be done on the Tamiya A-1H? Could an A-1J work?)

Thanks,
Andy
Depending on the timeframe, you may or may not need to delete one cannon from each wing to make an AD-4. (Sometimes the cannon may not be installed. I'm not 100% certain about this, though.) Change out the inboard pylons with the fuel tank pylons from the Monogram F9F-5. Replace the 500-gal fuel tanks with modified Tamiya F4U centerline tanks. Depending on timeframe, remove the armor around the cockpit. Remove the rotating red light on top of the tail. Remove a few more comm antennas (I don't have my refs handy.) The Tamiya Skyraider rocks! I recommend it without hesitation. Try to build it as stock as possible and it won't give you any problems. Try to incorporate too much aftermarket and it'll be an expensive lesson to learn.

I did this one a few years back -

I painted it and decaled it PRIOR to attaching the cowl, wings, landing gear and horizontal tail surfaces. The kit goes together that nicely. Here's the proof (note the ordnance isn't finished and the thumbprint on the lower right part) -

Last edited by John B; February 16th, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Unread February 17th, 2009, 12:14 AM

Awesome tips, guys. Thanks one and all for the advice.
I think this sheet is definitely the one to get for early Marine mud-movers!

S/F
Andy

Unread February 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Internet Hero

Hey John, nice looking AD BTW!

What did you do to get the anti glare shield in front of the canopy? A coat of clear flat?

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread February 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Yup. I sprayed acryl flat after I assembled the model to get the anti-glare area . It was harder to source decals than it was to build the model. With the Impact Decals sheet (better-researched than my "a little from here, a little from there" effort), it should be a much easier project to do now. I figured out that I built this model around 4 or 5 years ago. I wish these decals were available back then.