Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Vagabond Decals

Notices

Old October 4th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Default Which blue and red to match T-Bird decals?

I'm getting ready to paint my T-38 and need to know which colors match your decals the best.

For the red, I've always heard that the Testors little bottle red was the way to go. Have you ever compared Gunze red as a potential match?

What about the blue? I primarily shoot Gunze acrylics, so is there a close match? If Gunze isn't the way, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Chris
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer25k View Post
I'm getting ready to paint my T-38 and need to know which colors match your decals the best.

For the red, I've always heard that the Testors little bottle red was the way to go. Have you ever compared Gunze red as a potential match?

What about the blue? I primarily shoot Gunze acrylics, so is there a close match? If Gunze isn't the way, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

For the red, we matched the decals to Testor's square bottle red. I don't use the Gunze paints, so I don't know how they match.

As for the blue, the instructions say US Insignia Blue, 35044, but I would actually recommend Vallejo's Dark Prussian Blue instead (they say it's 35052) as a better match. Maybe a drop of their red into the bottle to add just a hint of a purplish tone. Cartograf printed the decals slightly off what we were expecting, but I do think they came really damn close to the right blue color.
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'm almost done with my white coat an can't wait to get some stickers on.

Chris
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:52 PM

For those who are interested, I was able to match my decals to Testors Italian Red. I wasn't having luck with the Testors little bottle red. Maybe because of my base-coat of Tamiya white.