Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Vagabond Decals

Notices

Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????

Default Notes on T-birds with Talons

Folks, I've been investigating some issues that have been pointed out to by my customers about this sheet, and here's what I've found:

The blue color: The blue decals were printed, after consultation with Cartograf, without any white underlay. That's why there's a purplish tint to them at certain angles. The tint comes from light passing through the ink and reflecting off the underlying surface (white or otherwise) and passing back through the decal. It's one of those weird physics things. The best blue color that I've found to use is Vallejo's FS35052 Prussian Blue, with a drop of red or purple to match the tint of the decal, NOT FS35044 Insignia Blue as originally specified in the instructions. The reason we didn't include a white underlay is the thought of the blue ink not being opaque didn't dawn on either myself or the artist. Depending on which blue colors are used, sometimes the white underlay isn't needed, so it just didn't set off any red flags (We were both told by Microscale and Cartograf that deep blues didn't need an underlay. NOT a mistake that will be made again!).

Decals sticking too quickly: the best solution here is to have a small puddle of water on your model when you're positioning the decals. Cartograf recently switched decal paper to one with a bit stronger glue, and that's why your decals are gripping rather more quickly than expected.

Stripes not fitting: the stripes on the aft fuselage, going from the root of the vertical stabilizer to the trailing edge of the wing got shortened during the sheet layout process.

I've had an insert printed up that corrects the aft stripe problem, and also includes decals for the red nose scallop, for anyone that's had an issue with that decal on their sheet. To solve some of the blue matching issue, this insert also has decals for the canopy rails, so you won't have to worry about painting them. The decals are a bit on the small side, but I thought this was the best solution to alleviate some of the color matching issues.

I'll be sending out this insert for FREE to all my CONUS customers, including those of you who've bought your decal sheets through Sprue Brothers (Gordon is sending me a list). For those of you who are overseas, I'm still working out how to get your inserts to you in the most cost-effective manner.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Very nice of you and thank you for the great service.
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:04 AM

Are you still sending out inserts for Sprue Brothers orders?
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagap View Post
Are you still sending out inserts for Sprue Brothers orders?
Yes. Hit me up through the contact us page on the Vagabond website, and I'll make sure you get your insert.