Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Aviation Photography Q&A

Notices

Unread April 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Regular schmoe...

Default Nikon D5000?

OK, I'm not "into" photography...but I'd like to be. The only camera's I've ever owned were digital "on/off-auto" pocket sized cameras that could get banged around while traveling and taking "snap shots".

I want to get a "real" camera (and perhaps a class on photography as well) for taking pics of aircraft as well as models and was looking at the Nikon D3000 or D5000. The base exchange has some pretty good package deals on these as well as some Canon models. The Canon are more pricey.

Anyway, I've read the reviews etc and like most things you get what you pay for but I just wanted some straight gouge from my "peers". Thanks

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Unread April 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Ermahgerd!

I used to own the D5000. I always wanted more out of it! All the controls for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed are buried in menus. Ended up selling it and moving up to the D300s.

It's a decent camera but with newer models out like the D3100/D3200/D5100, I wouldn't bother with the D5000 unless you get it for cheap with kit lens nowadays. Or step up to the D7000 which is way better (I sold mine too).

Last edited by PlasticWeapons; May 1st, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Unread April 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM

I would not recommend either the d3000 or the d5000

if you are on a budget get either the D3100 or the D5100, the D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000.
the D7000 is definitely the best DSLR under $2000

check out the nikon cafe forums, lots of good info on there

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/index.php

and ken rockwell has reviews of everything. just dont take what he says too seriously.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm
Unread April 11th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

If you're looking for a digital SLR to get your feet wet on, you really can't do much better than a Canon Digital Rebel XSi (or whatever the current model is, I can't remember). They're under $1000 with a decent image-stabilizing lens in the box, and they use SD cards (which you may have plenty of from your point-and-click cameras).

Quality and/or preference is largely a brand loyalty thing. Canon and Nikon will both deliver knockout results... in fact, pretty much every DSLR on the market (regardless of brand) will get you 85-90% of what you want.... and as a beginner, any of the beginning-line DSLRs will suit you just fine. It's as your skill and knowledge as a photographer grow that you begin to learn just what you want your camera to do and which one will give you that best. (in my case, it's a Canon 7D, and I have my old Rebel XTi/400D as a backup)

The popular argument is that Canons perform better (they pretty much own the sports media world), but Nikons seem to produce a naturally more color-rich picture. As airshow/aviation photography is not unlike sports, I went with Canon. I know plenty of photographers who shoot Nikon, Minolta, Sony, etc and get amazing results though.
Unread April 11th, 2012, 02:34 AM

Canon L-series lenses are indeed pricey, but they are very nice, too. I've owned a Canon Rebel XSi for almost 5 years, and I owned a film Rebel for 8 years before that. I purchased a film Canon many years ago at the Base Exchange, so I went with the digital Rebel so that I could transfer some of my lenses over.

The thing that REALLY bugs me about my Rebel dSLR is the SLLLLOOOOWWW frame rate (aka FPS) when shooting action (ie Blue Angel solos crossing at centerpoint). Otherwise, I've barely opened the Owner's Manual since so many of the controls were inherently similar to my old film Rebel. The latest Rebels have MUCH faster "film speeds" than my old camera and a lot of neat features, but I've found that "getting in position for the shot", setting proper camera settings and having the right lens screwed are the factors that allow me to decent pics as opposed to what the DSLR body can do. (Then again, I used to shoot B&W film without a motor drive or auto-focus, too. So I'm used to sticks & stones.)

Is there any place you can rent a camera that you're considering purchasing? Some camera shops have a "rent it then buy it" policy. You can use the rental fees as credit toward purchasing whatever you rent. Some "old school" camera shops used to have a 7-day grace period for you to return the camera for full credit to another camera. It gave you a chance to really test a new camera as you normally would as opposed to futzing with it in the store. I recently purchased a wide-angle lens after I rented one over the weekend. I also rented 2 different long telephotos to see whether 400mm was worth the price over a 300mm for what I needed it for.
Unread April 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
The thing that REALLY bugs me about my Rebel dSLR is the SLLLLOOOOWWW frame rate (aka FPS) when shooting action (ie Blue Angel solos crossing at centerpoint).
This was my sole gripe about my XTi/400D (well, that and the absence of spot metering). 3 frames per second will net you some nice photos... 5+ frames per second (which is what my new 7D has) will get you a lot more
Unread April 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Regular schmoe...

Thank you all for the advice and input. I'm now leaning towards that D3100...

But, I need to check out the Canon models as well. $700.00-$900.00 is my price range.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
Unread April 13th, 2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Thank you all for the advice and input. I'm now leaning towards that D3100...

But, I need to check out the Canon models as well. $700.00-$900.00 is my price range.
The Canon T3i is the most up to date in Canons "Digital Rebel" beginner DSLR lineup and can be had with a nice image-stabilizing 18-55mm lens for $800 from walmart.com.
Unread April 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM

I have had a D3100 for about a year and a half, It is an awesome camera. I found the comparable cannon models felt really cheap.

if you are shooting your models the 18-55 kit lens will do just fine. I recommend getting the kit with the 55-300 as well. it will come in handy at airshows.
you can get a kit for around $800

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3100KL2.html

it takes really nice sharp photos with the kit lenses

and it works great for shooting your models

hth
Dylan
Unread April 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
shibboleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
The Canon T3i is the most up to date in Canons "Digital Rebel" beginner DSLR lineup and can be had with a nice image-stabilizing 18-55mm lens for $800 from walmart.com.
Last month I picked up a T2i body (=T3i w/o the flip-out screen) for $399 at Frys. A nice inexpensive upgrade to my old D300.
Unread May 1st, 2012, 01:23 AM

Sooooo... what did you end up getting??
Unread May 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
Sooooo... what did you end up getting??
right? Don't leave us hanging, bro!
Unread May 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Regular schmoe...

Nothing just yet. Just dropped a hefty bit of cash on a new patio so...

But I think I'm set on the Nikon D5100, good starter DSLR from what I'm hearing. Thanks for the links Dylan!

I'd like to grab one prior to the Virginia Beach Warbird show next week.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM

Last edited by Whitey; May 7th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Unread May 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM

Happy shooting!
Unread May 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM

If I can crash the party here, I took y’alls advice and saved money on a camera body and save the cash for the lenses. I found a good deal on a refurbished Nikon D3100 and even just using the auto settings this thing rocks. Prior to this I’ve only used a simple point & shoot cameras. I mainly wanted a better camera for taking photos of my resin sets for my website. It came with a Nikon 18-55mm lens, which actually does a decent job - way better than what I had been using.
Now a question to those who know more than I. Like I said, I mainly got this camera for taking pictures of my resin sets, and model aircraft. I don’t really plan on lugging it around airshows or anything like that. Would a macro lens be beneficial for what I want, or you guys have any recommendations?

http://www.shull24.com/
Unread May 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ermahgerd!

Shawn,

I have a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens for my macro photography. Nikon sells the 105mm VR lens for double the price. I chose the Tokina since I don't need image stabilization. I mount my camera (D300s/D700) on a tripod and do all focusing/ISO/shutter speed/aperture manually. Now you can choose the 60mm macro from Nikon but I tried it out and just had issues trying to light my subjects because of the minimum distance from lens to subject (lens gets in the way). The longer reach of a 100mm or 105mm will allow you easier lighting setups plus you get 1:1 magnification (which the 18-55mm kit lens won't do as good).

Last edited by PlasticWeapons; May 15th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Unread May 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Shawn,
the 18-55 kit lens will be fine for 99% of what you want to do with your camera, ie taking pictures of your resin sets and built models.
I tried a dedicated macro lens and ended up with the same pictures as i got with the kit lens.
oh welcome to the world of nikon dslr's
just my $.02
Dylan