Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Choppers

Notices

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Default Werner's Wings/Storm Miniatures MH-47E Online Build

Wernerís Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Conversion Online Build

Before I even begin Iíd like to personally thank some people who have helped make this project happen. First off and certainly the biggest reason for this conversion is the outstanding work of Andriy Bass from Storm Miniatures. Most of the work that you see here is his. Without him and his dedication this set would not have come to fruitition.

Then there is Norbert who did some CAD work that helped out immeasurably.

There are some people who are behind the scenes that either helped with casting and with information. You know who you are. Thanks for your expertise in casting. Thanks to the guys who provided information and for your service. This set is dedicated to you and your fellow Night Stalkers.

It is time to start building the Wernerís Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Conversion for the Trumpeter CH-47D. Many have asked if they can use the CH-47A, unfortunately no you canít, the rear pylon is totally different.

Here is a picture of the Wernerís Wings/Storm Miniatures Conversion set

Here is the list of what I have so far for the build.
Trumpeter 1/35th scale CH-47D
Wernerís Wings/Storm Miniatures MH-47E Super Conversion
Eduard CH-47D Cargo Seats
Cobra Company Aft Pylon Upgrade
Cobra Company CH-47D Upgrade
Legends M-134 and Master Barrels Turned metal barrels. I have listed these two until Live Resin releases their remarkable sets for this conversion.
Aluminum tubing ľĒ by 19Ē long. I used K&S but any aluminum tubing will work. It MUST be aluminum.

There will be some scratch building that the modeler will have to do but weíve tried to keep that to an absolute minimum. Obviously any conversion of this magnitude is only recommended for experienced modelers.

Before I began I looked over the photos and there are some things that can be done prior to even receiving the conversion set. Things in red need to be removed by cutting and sanding. Items in black are either a place for a conversion part or are panels that need to be added by rescribing. All of these things are easier to do now while the parts are separate.

Starting on the left side. The forward fuselage requires removal of a few antenna mounts.

Mid to aft fuselage. The big thing here is the removal of the bumps for the Ďclotheslineí HF antenna mounts. The MH-47 has a smaller antenna.

Left side Aft Pylon.
This requires some rescribing on the panel lines. The grill needs to be filled. There are also a bunch of parts that will eventually go on back here. This area will be built up shortly so you can see what gets added and what gets filled.

An item that may or may not be there on your particular model is the enlarged rear windows. Iím going to add them to both sides so you can see how it is done. I have pictures that show bulged round windows on both side, some with just a single window on the right side, and finally both sides with the enlarged windows. So either check your references or go with what you are comfortable with. Personally the Ďnormí appears to be both enlarged.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Now onto the Right side

The forward fuselage, including the door. There are just a few panels that will need to be removed and some added. A grab handle will have to be added to one spot.

Here is a close up of where the mounts for the hoist belong.

Same goes for this enlarged window

Then there is the upper pylon. Same as before this will be developed as we get involved in the conversion
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Lose sight,lose the fight

This is gonna be awesome. I can't wait to get mine!
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:13 PM

Default Update 2

Update #2

I decided to work on the aft pylon which would require some work

The first thing I did was to fill the holes on select panels which are unique to the MH-47. Then using a beading tool, (http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/53.2E_160.aspx) which is significantly cheaper than other Ďrivetting toolsí, to replicate the fasteners on the panels. This was followed up by some scribing access panels around the pylon and using a needle to create the screw heads. I think I could have used some Archer rivets if I chose to do so. I like the effect as it is.

Pylon Parts added

I filled the holes for the HF antenna that is different on this aircraft with superglue and accelerator once the proud part of the antenna mount was removed.

Then the first parts of the conversion were added to the pylon, the AVR-2, APR-39, CMWS antennas and the lifting point. Fit of these parts is simple as they are just added to the surface with superglue.

The square aft window, which is much larger on the MH-47 than a normal CH-47, had to be created. The first thing I did was to chain drill the area that I had measured out. Just for those who are anal retentive, the window is 42 inches long and 27.75 inches high in real life according to my measurements. Your mileage may vary. The window sits slightly lower than the round window. Once the chain drilling was done the part was cut out with nippers. Clean up starts with a BAF (Big A** File). This keeps the surface flat. I was able to use it on all sides but it made the corners square which was not what I was after. I then mixed up some Apoxy Sculpt and smushed it in the corners. A knife blade holder was moistened slightly and pressed into the corner. This has the effect of rounding off the corner and making sure that all four corners are the same. A sharp knife blade was used to trim away any excess Apoxy Sculpt. This was then left to dry overnight. A couple of swipes with a fine sanding stick will blend the corners once dry.

Chain Drilled Window

Cleaned Up Window

Finished Left Side Pylon

On the inside of the fuselage, some Apoxy Sculpt was used to fill the remains of the window. Then a saw was used to finish off the insolation blanket pattern on the wall.

That is all of this side. Iíll start to work on the right side now.
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Update #3

Finished up the right side. It is exactly the same as the left side. No big suprises except I sanded away too much of the base for the lifting point. I had to replace that with some styrene. Not a big deal and totally my fault.

Again here is how the rear widows were chain drilled out.

The right side in the middle of being modified

How I scribe some of the panels. Dymo tape is your friend.

The modified left front door. Note the small spot where the HF antenna mount was removed. That was done on a couple of other points on the model as well.

Cutting off the upper pylon looked daunting but it was actually very easy. I used a Tiger saw blade and cut the rear portion flush. Then I used a scribing tool to scribe the attachment point to the top of the fuselage. Make sure the cut is on the doghouse and not the fuselage. This was deepened until I thought it was sufficient and then the saw was used to remove the remainder. Simple. This hasnít even been sanded flush.

The completed fuselage left side. It is starting to look like a beast.

Now to finish up the right side and start working inside the cockpit area.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Wow, this is great. When are the sets gonna be mailed out?
Chuck
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks. I hope to mail them out on Monday but I am still waiting in some resin and tubing.
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM

Update #4
The right front fuselage is the focus of this update.

Sorry it is blurry but these panels were added as well as the grab handle.

The doghouse was removed the same way as the other one, with a Tiger Saw that I picked up from UMM Models.

Close up of the hoist mounts. These will be the most challenging part of the conversion, I think.

Exterior Right side fuselage prepped for the rest of the build.

A motivational photo to see how the upper pylon would fit. It is held in place with a couple of strips of styrene to support it from the bottom, but the fit looks pretty good for just sitting there and no sanding.

Now onto the cockpit.
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Lookin good Floyd.
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:10 AM

I'm putting in an order to CobraCompany for the CH-47 upgrades too now...

Wow, this is going to be one immense model!

For my part I'm making a CH-147F RCAF colors, going to have to source the decals for that too somewhere...

Cheers
H.
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Update #5
A pretty exciting day for me, test fitting the cockpit. The first thing I did was the pedals. After cleaning them up I noticed that they were too long for the troughs.

This is how they are provided

This is after they were modified

I used a drill and pin vise to drill all the way through the parts so that the pedals could be pivoted until I was ready to set them in place

This is the pedals as seen through the side window. I will add the brake lines later.

Here is the cockpit put together with just a few drops of glue to hold the parts in place. They are not permanently attached. I am still working on the Ďcorrectí way to attach the glare shield. This is not it but it does show up nice.

Now to see how it fits inside the clear nose piece. Iím pretty happy with the fit.

Old November 17th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Nice! I always like such kitbashing, especially with these kind of details.

Sid
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Got mine yesterday and it looks GOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Sorry for the delay. Iíve been busy packaging both the MH-47s and Avia S-199s for shipment. You would be surprised by how long it takes. There are still some of you waiting for their Night Stalker Chinook. I am getting more parts from the caster as I had issues with some things. I havenít forgot you if you havenít heard from me yet.

Time to start getting some color into the cockpit area.

First off Iíve added the Multi-Function Displays (MFD) to the backside of the instrument panel. I want to add some brake lines as well but havenít done that yet.

Here are the parts looking from the pilotís view. I think it looks impressive.

After washing in a grease removing dish detergent and rinsing in warm water, the cockpit was given a coat of Alclad grey primer. This is my favorite primer period. Notice how everything comes together.

A coat of Tamiya zinc was applied to the floor and some components. Then a sponge was used to dab some chips on the paint with Mr. Maskol. These will be removed later during the weathering stage.

While that was drying I did some work with glare shield. I wasnít sure if I should recommend the Cobra Company CH-47D cockpit set just because I wasnít sure what it adds. Well I changed my mind. I highly recommend the set. It has a bunch of useful stuff. Here Iíve attached the compass from the kit and the blue lights under the instrument panel.

I also took this time to prep the kit parts for the cockpit floor. First off I cut the kit cockpit off. I sawed at a 45 degree angle taking care to leave the holes for the tabs on the kit broom closet. This ensured that would fit properly.

Then I had to remove the floor support on the fuselage halves and the small L shaped bracket on the right fuselage half.

Finally after I was done with that it was time to add various shades of black. I used Tamiya NATO Black for the instrument panel and boxes. Lifelike Cockpit Black was used for the floor. The insulation was painted Tire Black. These are initial colors and there will be weathering and other things going on but for now it looks pretty black and cool.

That is where I left off. Now to do some other little detail painting prior to weathering with Mig Pigments and SIN filters.
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Awesome looking!! Can't wait to get home and see what's in the box. Also got a lot of cobra company goodies so this is going to be fantastic!
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Well the color, black, was painted and the details were picked out. It is a shame that most of this will not even be seen on the finished aircraft. I know it is in there though.

Here is the complete cockpit minus the seats. There are no less than seven different blacks in there. The overall color was Lifelike Deep Cockpit. That was given a filter of SIN Grey for Panzer Grey. When that was dried, a dry brush of Model Master Steel to give it a metallic feel. Then small sponges were used with Tamiya Zinc and Model Master Steel to replicate the wear patterns in around the cockpit. This was enhanced with some Mig Pigments, Desert Sand. Apple Barrel paints were used for the various colors around the cockpit. The instruments were added from aeroscale. Grey pencil was used to pick out the MFD knobs and some other minor items. Tamiya Clear Green, Smoke, and Clear Blue were used on various MFDs.

The seats were painted with Tamiya Flat Black with a very light dusting of grey. They are fabric so they shouldnít be worn. The belts were painted with Apple Barrel paints. When dried the shoulder harnesses were given SIN filters of Blue for Panzer Grey. The seatbelts got SINís Brown for Desert Brown filter. The buckles were painted with Model Master Aluminum.

Here is the completed cockpit subassembly.

Old December 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Diggin it!
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Update 8
Just a quick update. I forgot to add the circuit breaker panels so here they are installed. I had to move the fire extinquisher forward slightly.

I added brake lines to the pedals but these will never be seen. I know they are there

The avionics shelf and area were the next little project I took on. I used the Cobra Company CH-47D Update set. I think this is an essential set now that I’ve been building the model.

Here are the shelves themselves.

Now I’m taking on the aft transmission area before I tackle the interior. I’ll be using the Cobra Company set for this as well.
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Too many kits....

looking good Floyd. hope to see it at the Nats next year.

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Update 9
This update has more to do with Cobra Company stuff than the Wernerís Wings/Storm Miniatures MH-47E Conversion. Might as well do the whole enchilada while Iím doing it. Iím sorry it is taking me so long but you know how having family and the holidays get. The granddaughters significantly cut into my modeling time.

Before I could do any work I had to fill the strange shaped mold marks. I used Perfect Modeling Putty. This stuff is really good. Let it dry thoroughly and then dry sand it and the stuff is pretty perfect. A good tool to add to your box.

Youíll note that I decided to use the Cobra Company Aft Pylon set (Catalog # 35025). I liked the set but the instructions leave a little bit to be desired. Here is the way that I elected to put it together.

I found that my transmission cover was too short. I probably built something wrong but I decided to replace it with a cover of my own. It was easy enough to make and it looks good, especially after some paint.

The Cobra Company set offers a lot of nice stuff for the back end of your Chinook. This is visible on the finished model so I decided to do some work back here. I ended up scratch building some frame work because what is in the kit is not very accurate. Evergreen styrene was used for the various boxes and structural panels.

Left Side

Right Side

Once the structural framework was built up I added some of the Cobra Company items. This is not all that needs to be added but I left some of that off until later. All the resin pieces come in the Cobra Company set.

I did add a piece from the Wernerís Wings set, the Hydraulic Panel on the right sidewall. A word of caution here. The panel is made to actual scale not to fit the model. You can either live with this or do as I did which was sand the panel from the left side. I took off one row of circuit breakers. This allows the panel to sit into the structural framework, although it is still a little big. I liked the look. If you got the Cobra Company set you can use the one that is included in there as it is smaller and designed to fit the kit. Your call.

A coat of Alclad Grey Primer allowed me to correct anything that needed fixing. This stuff is my go to primer. It dries by the time you clean out your airbrush. Super highly recommended.
Left Side

Right Side

Once I was happy with the primer, I pre-shaded the entire area with Tamiya NATO Black. Any black will do but I like NATO Black.
Left Side

Right Side

Then a coat of Tamiya Dark Grey was sprayed on. I know it isnít an exact match out of the bottle but after the weathering it will be a dead ringer. The grey was lightened with some White and thinned down some more. Then details and streaks were added to add visual interest. It still needs a wash and dry brushing but it is good for now.
Left Side

Right Side

Once the wash and dry brushing are done Iíll start adding tubing and wiring. It may not be 100% accurate but it will be representative of the real thing and will look busy.

Here is a start on the next part, the cabin area. I have started to remove the overhead panel supports in preparation for the Cobra Company interior set (Set Number 35022, unfortunately it is out of production).

More to come. Almost time for the big conversion stuff. Just have to finish up the cabin and aft pylon area. Then time to add the heavy fuel cells and other things that will make this a different Chinook.