Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread March 17th, 2015, 09:05 PM

Default Bring On the ZULU: KH 1/48 AH-1Z In Progress

Started this Kitty Hawk AH-1Z a few weeks ago. My building time has reduced a lot. A few hours on the weekend and normally 30 minutes or so early in the morning before I head off to work.
After looking over the kit and starting to build it per the directions, I decided to build up the main body parts, cockpit, exhausts, and get the PE on. I’m currently working on the main rotor system and will have picture of that shortly.
Few things about this kit.
Detail is nice. Fine panel lines and nice restrained rivets.
Fit so far of the major parts is very good. Made my path to build this kit in major sections easier to commit to.
BEWARE the carpet monster. If you have one in your model room, this kit is going to be a challenge because of the high part count and a lot of them are fragile and tiny
Tons of small parts…great for detail, but man things are tiny (sensor heads for AAR countermeasure systems, GPS antennas, clear plastic little light thingies….the list goes on
A lot of flash and sprue gate clean up. Almost all parts have mold marking that need to be removed. Most pieces have this ejection mold mini-pillar of plastic that will interfere with fit if you don’t remove them. Those metal chisel tools they sell these days is coming in really handy. Recommend you buy one.
OK…on with the build
My panels and compartments are going to be closed, so I Gator glued in some fishing weights into the nose compartments, then sealed them up with the kit panels. Again, fit of the panels are really good, just a little Mr. Surfacer (and cotton swab/thinner to remove the Mr. Surfacer without damaging the detail). Same goes for the panels covering up the engine compartment (2 parts), fit was very good there.

Here are the major sub-assemblies I have done so far. Cockpit is there, both fuselage bodies, the entire tail assembly together and seams cleaned up (really none to speak of). I’m using TENEX and it reacts well to the KH plastic, so put on your glue, let it set for a second then squeeze your parts to get that ooze. Let that dry and sand. 90% of the time it sands out with no visible seam. A little Tamiya Surfacer Primer or Mr. Surfacer is all you need to clean up the rest.
No need to build up the engines. Looking down the intake all you will see is the compressor face and exist. So that is all you see build up.

Not shown are the stub wings. They go together great. I test fitted them and with a little bit of trimming and sanding, I plan on painting them separately as I paint the external colors. They fit great and should be no problem putting on very late in the build.

I moved onto the targeting system (Hawkeye). I actually used this system a bit at Pax River while Zulu was under test and I was working on a different helo program. Huge improvement to the MTS system in the Whisky. Very comparable to the MX-10/WESCAM first gen systems on the market now.
The KH “ball” comes in two halves…and I wanted to show something from the inside. On real sensors they have special mineral glass that has that rainbow effect up close. I thought what the heck and grabbed some of this reflective type of tape I picked up at some craft store, punched out a few holes and Gator glued them in to give the impression of mirrors/stuff inside the “ball”. It’s glued up and the seam is cleaned up as well, haven’t taken photos of that yet but will.

That’s it for now.

Cheers
Collin
Unread March 17th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Looking good, Collin! Digging the reflective tape, good thinking!

Ski
Unread March 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Oompa

Collin-

Nice work so far! From the looks of things, appears to be a pretty awesome looking kit.
Unread March 19th, 2015, 05:53 PM

[/quote]

I moved onto the targeting system (Hawkeye). I actually used this system a bit at Pax River while Zulu was under test and I was working on a different helo program. Huge improvement to the MTS system in the Whisky. Very comparable to the MX-10/WESCAM first gen systems on the market now.
The KH “ball” comes in two halves…and I wanted to show something from the inside. On real sensors they have special mineral glass that has that rainbow effect up close. I thought what the heck and grabbed some of this reflective type of tape I picked up at some craft store, punched out a few holes and Gator glued them in to give the impression of mirrors/stuff inside the “ball”. It’s glued up and the seam is cleaned up as well, haven’t taken photos of that yet but will.

That’s it for now.

Cheers
Collin[/quote]

G'day Collin,

A quick question, are the sensor turret windows spherical or flat? KH have moulded them spherical, but they look like they may be flat panels to me. This would make sense in order to eliminate any optical distortion. You said that you have worked with the system so I was hoping that you would know for sure.

cheers,

Pappy
Unread March 20th, 2015, 05:49 PM

All sensors turrets/balls I have worked with, the "windows" are flat. I believe the Hawkeye is no different but in this scale...it's something I can overlook.

here is what it looks like:
http://www.helis.com/database/news/ah-1z_tts/
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conten...photo-01-h.jpg
Unread March 20th, 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin View Post
All sensors turrets/balls I have worked with, the "windows" are flat. I believe the Hawkeye is no different but in this scale...it's something I can overlook.

here is what it looks like:
http://www.helis.com/database/news/ah-1z_tts/
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conten...photo-01-h.jpg
Thanks Collin,

Pappy
Unread March 21st, 2015, 03:39 PM

Looks good Collin. Pretty cool that they made the TSS out of clear plastic to give your creative options like this.
Unread March 22nd, 2015, 11:16 AM

Cooool!
Unread May 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM

Well I pulled this back off the unfinished shelf and started it back up. Werner Wings decals (very nice). Colors/decals on. Now comes the hardest part of the build for me...all the little pieces.

Cheers
Collin

Unread May 13th, 2015, 09:40 PM

Looks good Collin. I like the non-skid on the wings - did you texture the paint? If so how? I would paint the round thing in the doghouse black (where the rotor mast mounts). Are those form lights WW decals? What paint brand and colors did you use and are those colors called out in the Werner Wings decal instructions? Getting supplies on hand for my build.
Unread May 14th, 2015, 08:18 PM

FS 35237 on the top and FS 36375 on the bottom...I used Model Masters thinned with Mr. Thinner. My painting method is to paint these base colors (with my SOTOR 20/20), then go back with very very thin colors of grey (from my large stash of paint) that are close in tone to the two base colors...to try and add some life to the paint scheme.

I am sitting on the front porch right now with a Rye Whisky watching Washington DC go by tonight, so not in the model room. She is currently weathered with AK washes which are coming out pretty well. I don't use a dark panel line wash, I use one of the dirtier washes over a semi-gloss coat to again...add some life to the paint.

The non-skid is just Mr. Surfacer 1000 brushed on...wait a few seconds and then tap with a stiff brush to make it "bumpy". Let it dry and then paint (I used Floquil Weathered Black). Decals are WW, but the slime lights are the ones from the KH sheet. They worked OK.

Cheers
Collin
Unread May 16th, 2015, 05:20 PM

AK Panel Line wash on...then flat coat.

Now the weapons and all the little parts.

Cheers
Collin

Unread May 16th, 2015, 09:08 PM

Lookin good, Collin! Recently started this one myself...and quickly gave up. Everything in the kit is just a little brittle and "swirly" for my taste. I'm an inexperienced oaf...no doubt about that...but this thing is DEFINITELY for more-advanced craftsmen who take a PITA as a challenge. Anyone in the States want to buy this kit from me? Its all original...slightly used...with two, broken cyclics. Don't worry...I'm not asking the nearly 50 bucks I got ripped off for. Just want it to go to a better home.
Unread May 17th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Brittle and "swirly" is about right. I put it on the shelf myself...I broke my cyclics as well.
My guess is the Yankee will be just as brittle...but I'm liking the way she is turning out...but there is some work involved.

Cheers
Collin
Unread May 18th, 2015, 09:35 AM

That's some killer work...
Unread May 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Too many kits....

looks good man. May have to add one to the stash as well

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread May 19th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Little parts still going on...and there are a ton of them. HF missiles are on the racks and drying off to the side. Those will be the last thing added. Seatbelts and stuff the seats in the cockpit, add the canopy, the gun, the air probe and finally the HF racks and she will be done. I'm sure these few items will take me another month.

Cheers
Collin

Unread June 28th, 2015, 08:14 PM

Looks great and the decals worked well. I have UH-1Y ones coming out soon too.
Floyd
Unread June 28th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Excellent work indeed. I'm sure hoping we get that kit in 35th scale.
Chuck
Unread June 29th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd S. Werner, Jr. View Post
Looks great and the decals worked well. I have UH-1Y ones coming out soon too.
Floyd
Your decals were 110%!!

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread....678#post302678