Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Marine Aviation GB > Project Threads

Notices

Unread February 13th, 2012, 09:46 AM
S/F not just a saying

Looks good.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread February 27th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Internet Hero

Decals just about done. Quick iPhone pic:

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance

Last edited by Sabre Freak; July 4th, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
Unread March 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Sabre,

Might be too late but thought I would show you what the bare metal area just for of the aft stab should look like. The A-7 used a lot of stuff the F-8 did and the bare metal area was the same, here's a pic of an A-7's area, the F-8 would be the same.

The metal area is wedge shaped from the stab pivot point outward. It had forest green streaking from the rubber seal that was on the inboard side of the stab.

Sorry it took so long to post this, just found the pic on the computer. The pic was taken in Nov 84 on the USS Nimitz.

Gerry

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; March 5th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Unread March 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Internet Hero

Well, ya...Mine's right and it's wrong.

Near as I can tell, the scrape area follows the panel lines. That part I got correct. Problem is on the real aircraft, they are angled, giving you a wedge shape. On the Monogram kit the lines are strait, giving you a rectangle shape. To make it really correct (IMO), I needed to correct the panel lines, which I didn't (raised detail, didn't want to re-scribe blah blah).

Do you agree with the angled panel lines on the F-8 or am I seeing things?

Bottom one looks clearly angled:
http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...5_32_of_56.jpg

Top one is hard to tell. On all the really good picks, the horizontal stab is in the way!

Not going to try to fix it at this point...Good discussion for a tweek list though!

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread March 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Well, ya...Mine's right and it's wrong.

Near as I can tell, the scrape area follows the panel lines. That part I got correct. Problem is on the real aircraft, they are angled, giving you a wedge shape. On the Monogram kit the lines are strait, giving you a rectangle shape. To make it really correct (IMO), I needed to correct the panel lines, which I didn't (raised detail, didn't want to re-scribe blah blah).

Do you agree with the angled panel lines on the F-8 or am I seeing things?

Bottom one looks clearly angled:
http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...5_32_of_56.jpg

Top one is hard to tell. On all the really good picks, the horizontal stab is in the way!

Not going to try to fix it at this point...Good discussion for a tweek list though!
They are angled. Good idea to get around the problem, course you could have just fixed those panel lines with Archer Fine Transfer products. You should add it to the tweak list.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread March 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

I do not believe that there are angled panel lines there. The panel in front of the UHT (horizantal stab) is about 18 inches by 18 inches and has a hell of a lot of screws going around the edges. There are no screws going along the angled lines. Since the A-7 was modeled after the F-8 I believe that large panels just forward of the UHT is the stab pac panel, just like it is on the A-7. The two scews in the middle of the line on the bottom are for the round panel, not sure what that panel was for. There should not be a small rectangle panel there, it's suppose to be a big panel like the A-7 had to my knowledge and everything I've seen.

Just my opinion.

Gerry

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Unread March 6th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Internet Hero

I'm agreeing with Gerry now. I think this pic of a DF-8A on Prime Portal nails it:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...r_06_of_16.jpg

Comparing that photo with the photos I've posted, looks like Monogram did get the panel lines correct. I should have masked wedges. Sometimes I get hung up with this arcane idea that if it isn't square parallel right angles, somthins wrong.

Unread March 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Sabre,

Sorry if my post sounded like I implying that your build is incorrect. I just wanted to bring attention to that detail for the next modeller.

Gerry

Unread March 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Internet Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Sabre,

Sorry if my post sounded like I implying that your build is incorrect. I just wanted to bring attention to that detail for the next modeller.

Gerry
No worries Gerry...That detail of the build is incorrect Good catch. We all know better now for next time.

Unread March 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Internet Hero

Just about done...(What? Only a YEAR AND A HALF)

Last edited by Sabre Freak; July 4th, 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Unread March 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Looks really nice. It's really cool seeing all of the old Monograms kits getting some attention.

mason
Unread March 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Keep it comin'! Keep it comin'! It looks great!
Unread August 22nd, 2012, 01:51 PM

Default Is this still in work?

Any updates?
Unread July 4th, 2017, 12:25 AM
Internet Hero

And lookie here what just taxied back onto the workbench...

Close up of some newly fabricated fitty bits:

Left to right

Ejection Seat pull handle - resin seat didn't have one obviously, so wire to the rescue
Nose gear Tie Down ring - tried to drill out the ring on the kit part (way back when) and it shattered. Used so aluminum tube and c-channel
Nose Gear door - Just added some styren to it fit a little better
Anti-collision light - Kit one (above) was on the hump I removed. Sat on this thing for how many years wondering how I was going to trim such an itty bit and reuse. Bit the bullet and carved a new one from clear plastic tree. Some sanding stick work to get the shape then a razor saw to cut it from the tree. Simples

Last edited by Sabre Freak; July 24th, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
Unread July 4th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Internet Hero

Anti Collision Light attached. Little clear red and i'll call it done. Didn't see a need to get it perfectly clear

Last edited by Sabre Freak; July 24th, 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Unread July 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM

Good to see this project still up and running!