Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Aviation Photography Q&A

Notices

Unread May 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

Default Anyone use a Canon 7D?

G'day Guys,

As the title says, does anyone here use or have experience with a Canon 7D?

I'm seriously contemplating getting one. I'm particularly interested in whether it might have better focusing performance than the 40D / 50D series. Is it better / more consistent / more accurate?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Motty.

Mate, this parrot wouldn't "voom" if you put four million VOLTS through it!!?
Unread May 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM

I have the EOS 7D in combination with the Canon 300mm L IS 2,8, and I also have the EOS 50D which I use in combination with the 70-200mm L IS 2,8. The autofocus on the 7D is unbelievably fast and precise, in my opinion a bit snappier than the 50D (which has excellent autofocus as well). The 50D is said to have some autofocus issues in extreme situations, which I cannot confirm. Both cameras and lenses are used for flight action only and both never let me down, even in extreme lighting conditions. I've compared the EOS 7D to the Nikon D300 and decided for the 7D because of the excellent autofocus. Besides, the 7D offers excellent ease of handling and setting.

I've sold my 40D in favour of the 50D because I considered the 50D autofocus faster and more precise than the one on the 40D. But that's strictly my own personal opinion. I've never owned a camera as good as the 7D. Get the 7D, I've never seen a camera in this price range with such a stellar autofocus. You won't regret it.
Lothar

Last edited by polybebber; May 27th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Unread May 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

G'day Lothar,

Many thanks for your comments. Very encouraging.

I've heard that noise at lower ISOs might be a bit of an issue? What are your thoughts around 400 or so?

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread May 27th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Hi Motty,

I'm shooting mostly with shutter apperture, let the camera do the rest - that includes the ISO settings. Until now, I haven't seen any noticeable problems between ISO 100 up to 800. Noise is starting from ISO 800 upwards, especially in low contrast situations (but that might not be an issue in your part of the world with the sun shining 365 days a year ) Here's an example:

The noise is visible when watching this picture in Photoshop for processing.

BUT, I'm not a professional. I can only pass my opinion as an amateur, so you may have a chat with your camera dealer. Hope I could help a little bit.

Lothar

Last edited by polybebber; May 27th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Unread May 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I don't like SPAM!!

G'day Lothar,

Many thanks again for your insight.

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread May 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM

I've heard people discuss this focusing issue from time to time. I've owned all the Canon DSLR from the 10D up through my current body, the 5D. I often use the 100-400L ISM lens. I've never experienced an issue with the focus falling off. I've experienced motion blur/softness, but that's my fault 'cas I push the envelope. If you're concerned about noise, I'd go with the 21MP 5D. I shoot High School Musicals, with the 100-400 and an ISO setting for 6400. In Photo Shop I use an add-on called Noise Ninja. The focus issue may be related to camera setting. If you're not happy with the amount of noise, then go with a camera offering more mega pixels.
Unread May 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't like SPAM!!

Many thanks Dave.

Unfortunately, the 5D is way out of my price range for what I do. I initially just started thinking about a new Sigma 50-500, now that it has stabilisation, and while the Aussie $ is so good. Then I started to wonder about a newer body as well. At first I was thinking of the 60D (thinking it would be a natural progression from my current 40D / 50D combination, but it seems like the 7D might be closer to what I'm looking for (although more expensive ).

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread May 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM

More MPix does not mean less noise. It depends of the sensor size and quality. The more pixels you try to cram on a sensor of a given size, the more the image quality degrades, especially when it comes to low light, high ISO shots. And here you have another player in Canon camera body - noise reduction employed by the camera's software. Canon's using incredibly sophisticated noise reduction algorithms with the dual Digic IV processors onboard. 7D using an absolutely stuffed 18-megapixel, 22.3 x 14.9 mm APS-C size sensor.
Yes, the 5D Mark II has a 21MP but in a 36x24mm full-frame sensor.
So depending on the software, 100% crop can show you less noisy but less detail or more noise and more detail. Very often lens can be the bottleneck, regarding the quality of photo.
Unread May 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I enjoy busting Scott's balls

I'm still using my 40Ds that I bought several years and just can't justify the expense of a new body. Is the 7D that much better than the 40D to warrant an upgrade? When the 50D came out, I passed on it because it didn't seem much better than the 40D, and so on and so on as each new model has arrived. Is it time to upgrade?

Speed Hunter Graphics
www.speedhuntergraphics.com
-----------------------------------------
Unread May 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM
What is accuracy anyway?

Default You need at least a 5D Mk II Jake.

I helped my daughter get into a 5D MK I and it take amazing pictures. Besides the full frame sensor it is really good in the upper ISO settings with what she says is; "velvety smooth photos." I can only imagine what a Mk II looks like. Can you imagine taking pictures at 50 ISO! I just can't imagine the possibilities for details and focus...because she won't let me use hers!!! LOL!

Just my 2˘
Unread May 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM

Well. if you invest in expensive Camera body, you must invest in top notch lens as well. You ain't gonna get nothing with investing in best body to use with average lens. I have had a chance to see a lot of time that lens can be a wicked bottleneck with the best camera.
Unread May 28th, 2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMelampy View Post
I'm still using my 40Ds that I bought several years and just can't justify the expense of a new body. Is the 7D that much better than the 40D to warrant an upgrade? When the 50D came out, I passed on it because it didn't seem much better than the 40D, and so on and so on as each new model has arrived. Is it time to upgrade?
If you have a chance, try to take some photos with same settings with both bodies and then compare. If the difference is big enough to switch on new model then do it. But very often people overestimate their needs in an pursuit for newer and better...
If camera is for some professional needs, then it is smart to calculate how much you should invest in camera and lens to get desired results and make money. But if you are doing for your own joy and happiness, then go with the best body and lens you can afford. If I can afford myself Eos 1Ds Mark III, I'd buy it in a blink of an eye... but unfortunately I can't. Pleasure have no price - we live only once!!!
Unread May 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko@inScale View Post
Well. if you invest in expensive Camera body, you must invest in top notch lens as well. You ain't gonna get nothing with investing in best body to use with average lens. I have had a chance to see a lot of time that lens can be a wicked bottleneck with the best camera.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I've not upgraded my bodies. All my money has been put into lenses.

Speed Hunter Graphics
Unread May 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

Thanks again guys for your input.

I understand what you mean about upgrading just for the sake of it. I'd like to say that, that's not the reason for me (I think? ).

That's also very interesting to hear that you use 40Ds Jake.

There's no doubt the 50D I already have is a great camera, but I'm still having a bit of trouble trying to get consistently good ground-to-air results and it's something I need to improve on because of the opportunities I'm getting because of my photography. I'm getting the opportunity to travel to airshows and capture the displays, but the main subject I am required to get is a small, very nimble and fast moving aerobatic machine and I would like to try and get better at this aspect of my photography.
See here for example.

The only thing that the Sigma 50-500 didn't have that I wished it did when I bought it was stabilisation. Now they have one that does, so I'm seriously wanting that.

I had thought that the 60D might be the natural progression that would help me with what I want to improve, at a reasonable price, but is seems not. It has a similar frame rate to the 50D (I would like faster) and the focusing system seems to be the same also. I really like the sound of the flexibility and accuracy of the 7D's system in that respect. The down side is that the 7D doesn't have the 60D's flip-out view screen, which I could see being very useful for air-to-air (on the other hand, the fragile, flip-out screen might be a liability in the slipstream as what chances I do get are often open cockpit). Also, again while the 50D's resolution is certainly good, the idea of even better iso performance would mean that I could more comfortably use higher iso / faster shutter speeds / higher f-stops, with less of a noise issue than currently, in worse conditions where necessary (say around 400-500 iso) and a better ability to crop distant subjects.

Add to this the fact that the Aussie dollar is at an all-time high at the moment and it seems like the right time to think about it (but I need to make my mind up soon as the prices in the shop I'm looking at are fairly fluid). I also think that this combination could be the best chance I have of getting the gear which will help me out, at a "reasonable" cost as I still can't afford to go the next step up in big Canon lenses, any of which would cost more than this Sigma / 7D combination all-up.

Thanks again for your suggestions guys.

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread May 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Motty, try to take some photos with that sigma lens and some full frame body. You will noticed that this lens have shortcomings (like vignetting and absence of sharpness toward the edges of the shoots etc.) and than you will starting to search for new lens to overcome these shortages. With smaller sensor camera (like Cannon APS-C) you will not suffer from this... at least not in that extent. But in your case, I would go for 7D. If you are shooting such a fast moving subjects like acrobatic planes, than you will significantly benefit from much faster and more precise AF (on 7D AF have dedicated processor) on 7D, compared to 50D. Considering that Canon also specifies that lenses must be f/5.6 or faster to meet AF specs, with your Sigma f/6.3 you will benefit from better AF capabilities. I have had a chance to shoot some photos with that sigma by using only full frame camera. My friend have 7D/Sigma 50-500 combination, and he explained me that at 500mm focus is much more accurate than with his 60D and at least missed focus issues were reduced to a minimum. And yes, dual DIGIC4 performs excellent in processing of images and reducing the noise.
So if you don't have any financial difficulties to jump on the new body, I think you can do it.
But this is just my personal opinion and is based on my limited personal experience and on my friend's experience. So take my word with some reserve and if any chance, try 7D with your lens!

Cheers and I hope I have helped you a little to make the proper decision!
Nikola

Last edited by Niko@inScale; May 29th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Unread May 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM

There are online comparisons between most major lens out there. I was looking at a sigma until I saw it compared to the comparable Canon Lens.
Unread June 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I don't like SPAM!!

Thanks again guys.

Well, I have taken the plunge and decided to get them. I'm just waiting for them to be delivered so I can start playing.

Nikola, I am very unlikely to be getting a full frame sensor camera at any time in the future. They are just too far beyond my means (even this was a stretch), and I have been pretty happy with the 50-500 that I currently have. I just wanted the added benefit of stabilisation which is now available on this lens.

Dave, I know the Canon L-series are supposed to be the standard but I think I would really miss the added flexibility of the extra reach at both ends of the Sigma. I had a chance to directly compare results from my current 50-500 and a 100-400L lens one day, (same subjects at the same focal lengths), and, to be honest, I couldn't see any really noticeable differences between them that seemed to justify the added cost and reduced flexibility of the Canon. I was very surprised at this too, given that I have always heard that the Canon is supposed to be so much better than the Sigma. And the next step up from there is into Canon's prime L-lenses and the cheapest one of those that would suit my needs is almost twice the price of the entire package I have just bought.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread June 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Let me know how it works out for you, Motty. I may decide to give up my death grip on my trusty (although antiquated) 40Ds!

Speed Hunter Graphics
Unread June 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Here's a lens for you Jake. I mean, if you're gonna go big right?...

Aaron

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/200-5...po-ex-dg-sigma
Unread June 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ermahgerd!

LOL. Yeah, that lens gets you noticed. Here's another pic just to show how huge that lens is! I noticed the MSRP is a lot higher now but for constant f/2.8 wow...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/200-500mm.htm