Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Aviation Photography Q&A

Notices

Unread September 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Default Scanning Negatives

Does anyone have any tips on scanning color negatives? Are there questions I should ask or procedures I specifically request?
I'm thinking about having about a dozen images scanned from negatives at a high-end photolab. Some images are over/underexposed so I don't feel confident that the typical teenager at the mall shop will do a good job of it.
Unread September 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Negatives are much more difficult to scan compared to slides. It's best to have a pro lab do them with high-end equipment.
Unread April 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Does anyone have any tips on scanning color negatives? Are there questions I should ask or procedures I specifically request?
I'm thinking about having about a dozen images scanned from negatives at a high-end photolab. Some images are over/underexposed so I don't feel confident that the typical teenager at the mall shop will do a good job of it.
Simple solution from an old negative photographer Get a good print done from your favorite neg frames one that is 'full frame' like an 8 x 12. Then scan the entire color print, then in photoshop, you can darken, lighten and crop...do it all the time
Unread May 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Go to any photo shop that have digital photo printing machine (eg. Noritsu etc..), and it will scan you very fast and in great quality. Digital machine print the photographs, by scanning the negative or slide first and then print. My good friend have a photo shop and I have digitalized all my slides and negatives. The point is that the shortest 35mm film can be no less that 4 shoots. If it's shorter they have to have an adapter, but most of them do not have that.
Much better quality than any commercial scanner or average film scanner. I don't know how much is that in USA but here in Serbia it is cheep (actually I didn't pay anything, but price for a full 36 shoots fil is ~5$).

Here you have an sample of scanned image http://inscale.org/pub/MGalleryItem.php?id=21614. Resolution of this image is 5000x3316 (16.5 Mpix) and this is the scan of AGFA 400ASA negative 35mm film, so it is a bit grainy. The rest of my films are scanned in 6305x4181 (26.3Mpix). This sample is in JPG format, but originals are uncompressed TIFF.

Last edited by Niko@inScale; May 24th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Unread September 4th, 2014, 04:33 PM

So is a negative scanner worth the investment anymore?