Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Darren Roberts Motivated GB > Project Threads

Notices

Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Slacker Action

Default Don't give me a Peter 4-0

Don't give me a Peter 4-0
It's a hell of an airplane I know
But she's a ground looping bastard
And you're sure to get plastered
NO don't give me a Peter 4-0!
old AAF drinking song

For me thus far it will be:
  1. Trumpeters P-40B in Illiad Decals Early P-40'sTomahawk Mk.II markings of 403 Squadron, RCAF, Bennington, May 1941.
  2. Hasegawa P-40E, Markings TBD (leaning towards Montex RAAF masks)
  3. Amtech P-40F in Pyn-up 48-023 from the 85 FS/79 FG.
  4. Hasegawa P-40K-5, in Promdeler Decals for 23rd FS, Robert L. Scott (personal hero of mine)
  5. Hasegawa P-40K-15 Kittyhawk III4th F.O.T.U. RNZAF in Tally Ho decals
  6. Amtech P-40L in 'Ace of Pearls', 2nd Lt Lawson, Madina, Italy, late 1943 (from the kit)
  7. Hasegawa P-40M Kittyhawk III, RAAF 86 Squadron in TAlly Ho! decals
  8. Mauve P-40N, in Eagle Strike 48147Birds of Prey Pt.1: 89th FS, 80th FG, India, 1944

This covers the major subtypes and gives a wide range of P-40 paint schemes from RAF temperate, to RAF Mediterranean, to OD over Neutral gray, and Foliage Green over Sky Gray.. If time & kits permit, they may be more than one of certain Marks, but only time will tell.

The P-40M in RAAF markings under way. Pictures to come shortly.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Internet Hero

That's an impressive line-up, but can you really have a list of P-40s w/o AVG B on it?

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Slacker Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
That's an impressive line-up, but can you really have a list of P-40s w/o AVG B on it?
Well...I have only 1 B kit, so if if I pick another one up it might change...
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Slacker Action

Well, it looks like my Mauve P-40N is the one with the lion shares of work being done right now, so here it is. The cockpit is a cobble together of an Ultracast seat and rear bulkhead, True Details floor, sidewalls and forward bulk head, and an Eduard Zoom instrument panel.

Here is the seat assembly. I love how Ultracast made the seat integral to the rear bulkhead. The drape of the belts over the little spacer bar is correct too. The base cockpit color is FS 34102 from the Model Master line up. The seat was painted with Testors aluminium from the small bottle range. The belts are Citadel Commando Khaki and the head rest is Citadel Khemri Brown. These are excellent acrylic paints that I use on my wargaming minis, and they translate over to the modeling world well too. The 34102 took a drybrush of Tamiyo XF-4 yellow green, and everything took a wash of Citadel Delvan Mud wash.

Up next is the floor board. Same painting as the rear bulk head, but with paint chips made from Citadel Chainmail. It's a nice, dark silver that looks better than a garish bright metallic scratch or nick in my eyes.

Finally for this installment are the side walls. Same paint as the other two pieces, but with the throttle and boxes picked out in Vallejo flat black. Good stuff. Various detail painting as been started with Citadel white and Vallejo colors.

Oh wait! One more: Here are a spare set of Hasegawa wheel wells that I am using in this kit. The base is Tamiya XF-4 Yellow green, washed in Citadel Delvan Mud. The pipe is picked out in Citadel Chainmail.

Stay tuned for more P-40 madness to follow!
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Slacker Action

Here are the sidewalls after detail painting and adding some placards from various decal sheets in my decal bin:

This bad boy is just about ready to be buttoned up.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Internet Hero

Looks good too! (besides your P-39 build)

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Slacker Action

Small update time. Here's a shot of the Eduard photo-etched instrument panel. These pre-painted items can really add a lot to your model.

And here are those wheel bays installed.

A side view of the fuselage & lower wing.

And this is a boo-boo of my own making. Once upon a time I had the idea to mate the Hasegawa wing to the Mauve fuselage. I couldn't get it to work out, but not before I had lengthened the lower fuselage opening the Mauve kit. No worries tho. A little strip styrene & Tamiya extra thin cement have made a very nice plug.

More to come!
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Slacker Action

Here's my recent work:

Just plugging away at every modelers favorite thing, seam filling & sanding. More to come.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Steel Beach Resin

This is going to be a great group of models. I've always loved the P-40. BTW, what's a P-400? A P-40 with a Zero on its tail. I know, I know. It's an old one, but I still get a chuckle from it.
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Nice work on the P-40 so far, Will.

I have a question about the P-40.
I have limited documentation on the P-40 and a couple of AMTech kits, I don't have a Hasegawa kit to check.

My question is about part A4 of the AMTech P-40L kit. I picked up the notion that there should be one, centrally located, carburetor intake...not the two that are in the kit.
I can't find a picture that shows the inside of of the intake.
Is it correct that there should be only one?

Cheers, Stefan.