Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > Review Section

Notices

Unread January 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Die-Hard Yankees Fan

Default Vallejo vs Tamiya paints

Someone talk to me about the Vallejo brand paints. I am thinking of switching from tamiya acrylics to vallejo but dont know much about them.
Unread January 11th, 2012, 03:21 PM

I did try some Vallejo Air paints in the past (only once) and just think that Tamiya or Gunze acrylics are the best.
As for the Vallejo Air series, you don't need to thin the paint and they result quite tough when dry and if you try to remove them they tend to create a sort of "film". On the other side, they are quite more expensive (at least in Italy) and though being less toxic (they are really water based, whereas Tamiya/Gunze are lacquer based), you need the brand's own thinner in order to clean the airbrush thoroughly.
I therefore decided I'll use Vallejos only for painting small details by brush.
For the airbrush, only Tamiya or Gunze, thinned with their own thinner and using alcohol to easily clean the airbrush, but in the open air only.

Last edited by james84; January 11th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Unread January 12th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Vallejo paints (white cap) are very good for brushpainting, but in my experience are very poor when it comes to airbrushing. I may not have used the right thinner for that though, but as James says - the Model Air range is prethinned for airbrushing straight from the bottle. I like to use the Panzer Grey for a scale black applied by brush - the thinner paint hides brushmarks well. Their quick drying time is a mixed blessing as the paint tends to dry on the tip of the needle, so every few minutes you need to wipe the tip with a cotton bud. Trying to airbrush camouflage freehand would be challenging I think.

Jens
Unread January 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM

For anything but small detailpainting and other brush aplications IMHO Vallejo paits basicly suck. And here's why. When it dries it becomes this latex like substance and if you try to paint it on some surface that's not primed you'd might aswell get the old primer out cause it aint gonna work without. Also in my experiance the same brand primer is crap, it has the same proparties. It won't stick to PE or metal, and also it doest' grip the plastic to good, so I've screwed up more than one modell cause of that sh*t.. Yea sure, they've got an extensive range of colors, but when they have the proparties that they do I'd prefer not to use them.
Unread January 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Have to agree with everyone else. Valejo paints get used a lot by magazine editors who get a whole rack of them free, and then suddenly move onto other brands.

It's the best for detail paining an wash effects with a brush- it's out of bounds for my airbrush
Unread January 29th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguru View Post
Have to agree with everyone else. Valejo paints get used a lot by magazine editors who get a whole rack of them free, and then suddenly move onto other brands.

It's the best for detail paining an wash effects with a brush- it's out of bounds for my airbrush
And I wonder why they just use what they got then switch..

I prefer Gunze, even though I have to import it myself. But still, it's cheaper than that Vallejo crap.. That's sayin some for the price for that stuff check it out..

one bottle of Vallejo paint runs at about 35NOK/5,85 USD. One bottle of Gunze imported from Hong Kong is 2.29USD .. and I dont' have to spend another 10 USD worth of gas to get the damn thing. It gets deliverd to my mailbox that sits just outside my front door..

I've not included shipping as it varies from how much I get, but on avrage up to 6 bottles is more or less the same shipping cost. And it still stays below what one returntrip to the LHS will burn in gas..
Unread January 29th, 2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlack View Post
And I wonder why they just use what they got then switch..

I prefer Gunze, even though I have to import it myself. But still, it's cheaper than that Vallejo crap.. That's sayin some for the price for that stuff check it out..

one bottle of Vallejo paint runs at about 35NOK/5,85 USD. One bottle of Gunze imported from Hong Kong is 2.29USD .. and I dont' have to spend another 10 USD worth of gas to get the damn thing. It gets deliverd to my mailbox that sits just outside my front door..

I've not included shipping as it varies from how much I get, but on avrage up to 6 bottles is more or less the same shipping cost. And it still stays below what one returntrip to the LHS will burn in gas..
Thing is, I have yet to use another paint which is even close for detail brush painting- that HAS THE SAME SAFE PROPERTIES as Valejo.

Enamels can be violent if it all goes wrong, and tamiya/gunze style paints appear to wash well- that is up until the point it dries, and then you see the god awful tide marks. Also, they have an extremely brief window for eradication by water.
Unread January 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguru View Post
Thing is, I have yet to use another paint which is even close for detail brush painting- that HAS THE SAME SAFE PROPERTIES as Valejo.

Enamels can be violent if it all goes wrong, and tamiya/gunze style paints appear to wash well- that is up until the point it dries, and then you see the god awful tide marks. Also, they have an extremely brief window for eradication by water.
I'd like be safe also, but I dont concider hobbypaint to be a major hazzard anyway. And not in those tiny amounts we're talkin about . I've been modeling for over 20 years, many of those using nothing but enamels in my airbrush and for detailpainting. And I'd still say my head works..

For washes I use promodeler and mig washes, also oilpaints and enamels and I never had any adverse effects as far as I can tell.
Unread January 29th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlack View Post
I'd like be safe also, but I dont concider hobbypaint to be a major hazzard anyway. And not in those tiny amounts we're talkin about . I've been modeling for over 20 years, many of those using nothing but enamels in my airbrush and for detailpainting. And I'd still say my head works..

For washes I use promodeler and mig washes, also oilpaints and enamels and I never had any adverse effects as far as I can tell.
???
What I meant was- say you are doing some intricate paintwork on a lever or dial in a cockpit, and suddenly "SPLOT" too much runs off the brush- well with Valejo, provided you get on it quickly with copious amounts of water, and wick it away while scrubbing the affected area with a soft brush, you can usually get a 99% "save."
With other brands, it may well be a case of either repainting with the base colour, or stripping the entire piece and starting again.
Unread January 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM

I have to concur here and say that, for brush painting, nothing I've tried surpasses Vallejo. I do my fair share of figures and use them all the time, successfully, for that. I use both Model Air and Model Color for brush painting with a bit of their own retarder and they do wonders.

I don't like to airbrush Model Air or any other Vallejo paint, for that matter. Always clogs my airbrush.

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread January 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM

I noticed Lifecolor paints are similar to Vallejos when it comes to airbrush them. A real pain to clean up.
Unread February 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Scale geek

Never airbrushed with them, I use Mr. Color for that, but for brush painting, I absolutely love them. I hated brush painting until I tried Vallejo.
Unread February 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM

VALLEY-JOE paints SUCK Period....I invested a bunch in them because of reviews and other factors. A/B was almost impossible and they were fair at best for hand painting. the only advantage is the MASSIVE range of colors...I eventually put them for sale on a model forum and got a few $$$ back..
Stay with Tamiya Paints they are IMO the best out there in the acrylic medium.....
Unread February 18th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Vallejo are very very good indeed used correctly. The white cap model color range are to be brushed only and you should use their own thinner and drying retardant to make best use of them. They are packed full of pigment and adhere very well indeed. The range of colours is outstanding and they are very accurate indeed. Like I said you MUST use a retardant else they dry very quickly but the added value is that it only requires two drops to paint a 1/48 ejection seat for example. The thinner is to ensure that the paint runs freely else it's too thick.
The Model Air range is designed not to be thinned although you can use a drying retardant if you wish (why you would I have no clue) but some seem to.

You cannot airbrush the model color range or brush the model air range as to do so and then moan would be working against what they were designed for so the review would be tainted from the start and unfair to vallejo.

Use Vallejowith their own brand of thinners and retardants, again, otherwise it's unfair to comment as you're working outside of their optimum.

If you work outside of the parameters set by vallejo then please don't post any form of review about them. It's just not fair.
Unread February 18th, 2012, 05:43 AM

p.s I have no connection with Vallejo although I must say that for brushwork I wouldn't use anything else. They are amazing when feathering, filtering, highlighting and shadowing. Nothing better - period!

Tamiya and Gunze are also awesome, but you wouldn't want to use a thinner outside of their own brand. You risk spidering the paint and risk it clogging up your AB
Unread March 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM

This is simple...

If you want the best finish possible, nothing compares to Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby color.
Unread March 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY53E View Post
This is simple...

If you want the best finish possible, nothing compares to Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby color.
I'd agree with this except for the part that they are really hard to find.

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread March 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM

I use Gunze and Tamiya acrylics ... and Vallejo

Loki is right though, if used correctly they work perfectly fine.
The good thing about Vallejo is their wide range

When I brush, I dilute the colour range (white cap) with water and that's more than enough for my own use. No retardant, no thinner. Works fine for me but usually I do detail work with brush, the rest is all airbrush.
I will have to try the retardant though.

I also dilute just bit the vallejo air range (black cap) with water as well and IMHO the VAllejo matt varnish is the best I ever tried.
I don't use them often I reckon, except for the varnishes. But some colours are really great to use because they aren't redily available from other range, at least not in acrylics.
Unread May 18th, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I use Gunze and Tamiya acrylics ... and Vallejo

Loki is right though, if used correctly they work perfectly fine.
The good thing about Vallejo is their wide range

When I brush, I dilute the colour range (white cap) with water and that's more than enough for my own use. No retardant, no thinner. Works fine for me but usually I do detail work with brush, the rest is all airbrush.
I will have to try the retardant though.

I also dilute just bit the vallejo air range (black cap) with water as well and IMHO the VAllejo matt varnish is the best I ever tried.
I don't use them often I reckon, except for the varnishes. But some colours are really great to use because they aren't redily available from other range, at least not in acrylics.
I found water gums up Vallejo quite severely. I highly suggest using their brand thinner for best results and I also found that Createx airbrush Cleaner works well as a thinner for Vallejo. I would stay away fro water with this product.
Unread May 18th, 2017, 11:27 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Welcome back time traveler :P