Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Naval Aviation GB > Reference Library - Naval Aviation

Notices

Unread April 27th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Default Early F-14 Development films

I'm not sure where this should be posted (Jets? Real Aviation? Aviation Photography?) , but here goes...
Here are some digitized films on F-14 development -
F-14 Flight Test Progress Report 1971 - Of interest is the blast screen between the RIO and Pilot in the prototype.

F-14 Progress Report Jan 1972 to Jan 1973 - Interesting footage of protoype landing with wings fully sweptback. The first F-14B undergoing assembly and the first F-14 received by VF-124.

It's remarkable that EVERY aircraft type in both films no longer flies for the US military.
Unread April 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

The F-14B mentioned in the test report film is not the F-14B we all know, it was a one off with PW F401 engines. The F401 was cancelled and the aircraft (157986) was put in storage. The aircraft was used as a test bed for another engine, the F101, put back in storage and then used for as a test bed for the F-14A+ (which was renamed F-14B on 1 May 1991) and then as the test bed for the F-14D.

So, there was actually two configurations of F-14B, one aircraft had the PW F401, the rest (and one's we know) had the F-110.

http://www.grummanpark.org/content/t...-7-buno-157986
http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-history-f14b.htm
Unread May 13th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Wow, I did not know you could land the F-14 with the wings swept back! Has there ever been a case when this happened during the service life of the Tomcat?

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread May 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo1 View Post
Wow, I did not know you could land the F-14 with the wings swept back! Has there ever been a case when this happened during the service life of the Tomcat?
To my knowledge, no there has never been a case where a Tomcat had to land with both wings swept back. There was one case (IIRC VF-33) where one had to land with one wing swept back, the other was out. The wing sweep actuator broke, preventing the one wing from sweeping forward. There was some flight tests afterward in order to get some data for the NATOPS and to investigate what could cause the actuator to break.

I've never heard of the wings not being able to sweep forward and never saw a wing sweep actuator break. Have seen wing sweep motors crap out but that would just cause the wings to move slow while sweeping forward, or if forward, lock them in place. Normal wing sweep from aft to forward should take no more then 9.5 seconds and this was checked during preflight checks by the troubleshooters/finalcheckers.
Unread May 15th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Very interesting stuff, Gerry. Thanks much!

By the way, I have a whole new appreciation for you guys who served on aircraft carriers. I've been watching a few episodes of Carrier (produced by Mel Gibson) and man, you guys really had to put up with a lot of crap! My hat's off to you all.

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread August 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Speaking of Early Development Tomcats, I want to build a 1/48th scale Model of this Tomcat http://www.grummanpark.org/content/t...-3-buno-157982 and I have the Academy Kit as well as the Hasegawa kit with Bounty hunters decals on box. Will I be able to correctly depict the number three aircraft with these kit,s and what would I need to use from the kits themselves. Example would be, are the Cockpits in the kits correct
and are the gear and tires correct, that kind of stuff. I want to build this kit for the F-14 Tomcat group build so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Chris Causey
Unread August 27th, 2014, 10:03 PM
shibboleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Anyone notice what was said at 6:25 in this video ???