Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Ship Modeling

Notices

Unread February 23rd, 2016, 06:50 AM
3D print meister

Default carrier deck crew for modern aircraft carrier in 1:350

Hello!
Usually I put my posts on the jet fighter section, being busy with a piece of aircraft carrier diorama in 1:144 scale.

Having made a set of carrier deck figures in 1:144 scale in my computer for 3D printing, I was approached by some ship builders, asking me if these figures could also be scaled down to 1:350.

I doubted at first if it were possible, but Shapeways sent me a printed set yesterday with such good result, that I thought I might share it.

For ship builders in this forum might that might be interested, I published the set on the Shapeways website. 3D prints can be ordered via them:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/23...ionId=58983191

for what it's worth!
Unread February 23rd, 2016, 09:42 AM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

Those are seriously cool.

Having worked with the etched figures in the past, I have to say, a bunch of your figures would save some real time in filling a flight deck.

Maybe the 1/350 Gumbys can retire now? (mine always ended up looking like him)
Unread February 23rd, 2016, 02:39 PM
3D print meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post
Those are seriously cool.

Having worked with the etched figures in the past, I have to say, a bunch of your figures would save some real time in filling a flight deck.

Maybe the 1/350 Gumbys can retire now? (mine always ended up looking like him)
HI RexinTN,
needless to say that the figures are only 5.5 mm tall. My camera has big trouble capturing them but I thought it would give a reasonable impression. I have never seen the etched figures for real, only on the net, but they seem very 2D, even in this small scale.

Truthfully, I don't know how one would paint a figure as small as this, I tried some 1:144 figures last week and thought that was madness:

I know I made the guy who asked me to design the set in CAD very happy, I thought he might be more.
Unread March 21st, 2016, 08:54 AM
3D print meister

and to prove to myself that thes figures can actually be painted, I gave it a try last weekend:

it's time for a nice 1:32 project again!
Unread March 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM

Out of curiosity - how does the price get set on Shapeways? I've bought some Sci-Fi stuff - most recently for the 1/43 DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, and the prices are all over the place. Your price on those figures seems reasonable - and they look really nice.

Their search engine is still terrible though... A friend and I were searching for parts for the Zvezda 1/72 Pirates of the Caribbean "Black Pearl" - and the search returned items including (I kid you not) - a butt plug in the likeness of Donald Trump... And if you're wondering - yes, it's "Huuuuuuge"
Unread March 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
3D print meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEH737 View Post
Out of curiosity - how does the price get set on Shapeways? I've bought some Sci-Fi stuff - most recently for the 1/43 DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, and the prices are all over the place. Your price on those figures seems reasonable - and they look really nice.

Their search engine is still terrible though... A friend and I were searching for parts for the Zvezda 1/72 Pirates of the Caribbean "Black Pearl" - and the search returned items including (I kid you not) - a butt plug in the likeness of Donald Trump... And if you're wondering - yes, it's "Huuuuuuge"
Yes GEH737, the price is built up from a manufacturing price as set by Shapeways, plus a fee that the designer can add on top of this. Depending on whether you need to make a living out of this as a designer, I guess you can raise the price until nobody wants to buy your stuff anymore. I guess it is an offer-and-demand-kind of balancing act. Maybe also has something to do with licencing cost, that can drive the price up too.
And I agree that the search engine is not the best indeed. But when you made the statement about the butt plug, I could not help but wonder where the protruding lips are positioned!
Unread August 16th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Turbo Turtle

I've got some money to spend on CVN 65 bits, for the ship, aircraft and figures but at this point in time all the 3d stuff is too expensive. I added such things as mk82 bombs, missiles, conflag stations, power carts, beehive, pallets and barrels to my shopping cart. Then realised that my 150 was not only 50% MORE than the price of the Tamiya Enterprise kit but the products would fit in the palm of my hand.
Unread August 21st, 2016, 11:48 AM

I would love add figures to my ships. what would be the cost of these 3d figures in 1/350 scale? The 2d etched in my opinion look, well, 2d.
Unread September 11th, 2016, 01:42 AM
3D print meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by major malfunction View Post
I would love add figures to my ships. what would be the cost of these 3d figures in 1/350 scale? The 2d etched in my opinion look, well, 2d.
Hi Major malfunction,
for this I would like to refer to the shapeways website where you will find all sorts of 3D printed stuff. The publications of my 3D models you can find on:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/klekotech

Let me know if you have any specific questions or wishes? Good luck!