Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > Review Section

Notices

Unread November 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Default Academy MH-60S review

Looking at the kit I was hoping for some of the older issues to be fixed, but alas it is still the same kit with just a new Navy sprue and decals. The other sprues added to the kit are from the MH-60G and MH-60L DAP kits. This gives you the shortened ESSS wings, Hellfire Missiles, 2.75 Rocket tubes, M-134 Miniguns and the M2 .50Cal, and external rescue hoist. The new sprues that make it the MH-60S are very well done, there are some things that Academy has added that can be used on some of the other kits like the rotor brake for the cockpit can be used in both the MH-60G/L as well as some other smaller parts. Missing from the kit are the Flare buckets that are on the tailboom that are angular boxes, those would have been a nice addition. Looking at reference pics of the cockpit Academy did their homework, with the IP and lower console, not much to add there except maybe the parking brake lever on the pilotís side above the collective. The new FLIR turret is well made and there are three styles of nose platforms to choose from. The pilots doors will need to be cut out from the fuselage in order to add the Navy style as will the back part of the tail to add the CMWS fairing. There are new step fairings as well and the kit gives you options depending on the version you are building. The decals are awesome and give you three options, the colorful box art version from HSC-9, HSC-21 with a huge Eagles head on the tail, and HSC-28 in markings for COMSIXTHFLT Admirals helo. The rest of the decals are airframe and weapons stenciling and are in perfect register. From pics I have seen on Navy.mil the M2 has a different mount than what is in the model so either scratchbuilding is in order or wait for aftermarket resin options. With slight modification of the IP this kit can be made into the UH-60M prior to the UES exhaust. The problem of the exhaust with this kit is still the same but I have come up with an easy fix that I think will solve the problem and give the exhaust the proper droop. I will post that in a later article.

Unread November 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM

Default MH-60S review

Hi Erick,
Just a quick question: does the kit have the option to allow you to fold the rotors in the stored position? I have already learned that you cannot fold the tail section OOTB.

Thanks,
Jeff
Unread November 24th, 2014, 02:35 PM

No it cannot. With modification it can but it would take a bit of work. The only thing the kit added was the new blades the rotor hub is still the same.
Unread November 24th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Default MH-60S review

Hi Erick,
Thanks for the quick reply. Will have to think about the feasibility of folding the rotors before I drop a C-Note on this.

Jeff
Unread November 25th, 2014, 03:39 PM

I just bought this kit and I was hoping for some changes as well. Too bad. Hope someone comes out with some AM sets for it (Cobra Company comes to mind).

Thanks for the list of items, Erick!

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread November 25th, 2014, 09:14 PM

Cobra Company is already in the works of making an update/correction set plus I do believe he is also his making a GAU-21 set also. Also I do believe Erick is working on chaff buckets that weren't supplied in the kit.
Unread November 26th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Good to know. Thanks.

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg