Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > Review Section

Notices

Unread August 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Default Trumpeter F-106A Delta Dart

I just picked up the new Trumpeter F-106A Delta Dart on an impulse buy at the IPMS-USA National Convention last week in Virginia. After getting it home and reviewing the sprues, I thought I would give my fellow Z-5 aficionados an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind that I am no 'Six expert by any means, but just a fellow modeler who appreciates the fine lines of the last true interceptor of the USAF.

I bought the kit at the MegaHobby stand at the Nats (great people from South Jersey/Philadelphia; I highly recommend them) for $65 U.S. The first thing that I noticed upon opening the box were the discreet and restrained engravings for the panel lines. No sign of Trumpeter 'Mad Riveter' here! The kit is beautifully molded, with ZERO injector pin marks on any of the landing gear doors, missile bay doors, landing gear, cockpit parts, or on anywhere they would be difficult to eliminate. The kit also has very petite rivets on the insides of the missile bay/missile bay doors/landing gear doors et al, with nary an injector pin mark to fill. The only place where I saw injector pin marks that needed to be filled were on the inside the intakes, and those will not be very hard to eliminate. The only other molding flaws I noticed on the kit were some raised molding/seam lines on sections of the fuselage and intakes, which are common with Trumpeter kits as well as the new series Academy F-4 Phantom II kits. A few swipes with a sanding stick or sandpaper with remedy this issue.

The kit represents a late model 'Six with the blown, clear cockpit canopy, late style wheels and infrared seeker bulge in front of the windscreen. You can probably use the framed canopy from a Monogram F-106 kit if you want to model an earlier 'Six with the framed canopy. The kit's blown canopy is crystal clear, thin and distortion free. Same with the windscreen; it's just beautifully molded with no hint of flow lines or other distortions.

The kit correctly includes both styles of Falcon missiles, both infrared and radar, as well as one Genie nuclear missile and the ubiquitous supersonic drop tanks. A small photo-etched fret is included which features seat belts for the bang seat and other sundry items for the kit. There was no sign on the sprues of the 20mm Gatling gun that a few 'Sixes carried late in their careers.

The kit decals appear to be typical for Trumpeter/HobbyBoss in that they are well printed and feature markings for jets from the New Jersey and Florida Air National Guard units. I did not see any noticeable printing errors, which is often the case with Trumpeter/HobbyBoss decals, except for the fact that the USAF markings were in black instead of Insignia Blue.

The inevitable question that one has to ask while reviewing this kit from Trumpeter is: how does it stack up against the venerable and widely available Monogram kit, which is $50 dollars cheaper ($65 vs $15)? A rough comparison of the Trumpeter fuselages, wings, wheels, Falcon missiles and cockpit parts with those in the Monogram kit revealed that they appear to be nearly an exact match in outline, length and shape. It is pretty obvious that Trumpeter had a Monogram 'Six on hand when they designed this kit, as the kit is very similar in breakdown and layout to the Monogram 'Six.

While the Monogram kit features ever so slightly better detail in the cockpit, ejection seat and main gear wells/missile bay, the detail is much softer and less defined than in the Trumpeter kit. The nose and main gear wheels/tires are not nearly as well detailed or defined as the Monogram kit, but I intend to use the wonderful Royale Resin wheels for the Monogram 'Six instead of the kit parts anyway.

One nice thing about the Trumpeter kit is that it provides separate flaps and ailerons (flaperons?), as well as a separate, one-piece missile bay cover for those who don't want to model with the missiles hanging out. Most of the 'Six photos that I have seen depict the aircraft with the weapons bay doors closed while on the ground, so this may be a popular option for some modelers.

As I noted earlier, I bought this kit at the Nationals because 1) I have always loved the 'Six; and 2) it was a moment of weakness/impulse buy. While I have been a fierce critic in the past of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss et al for some of their 'less-than-stellar' releases, I must say that this is the nicest kit I have seen from them so far, ranking right up there with their 1/48th MiG-23, 1/32nd Me-262 and the new Merit (Trumpeter) 1/48th Elco '80 PT boat.

While I think the kit is beautifully done, I'm not sure that I would spend $65 dollars again on something that is basically an updated Monogram kit with engraved panel lines. If this kit were priced in the $40 dollar range, I would buy and build multiple versions, but at this price point, I just can't justify it, not with my oldest kit heading off to college tomorrow. With all of that said, I still highly recommend the kit to all 'Six lovers who have the cash to spend on a wonderful kit of a beautiful aircraft. Highly recommended!

Jeff Newton
Simpsonville, SC
Unread August 13th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Thanks for the review Jeff. I was dreading what Trumpeter might do to the beautiful lines of the Delta Dart, but I am happy to have my low expectations declared null and void It definitely is one of my most anticipated kits of this year.

Any pics to go with it?

Jens
Unread August 13th, 2014, 05:20 AM

Sounds to be worth spending money on

Does anyone make aftermarket sixshooter for the -Dart? Always wanted to build one with it

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...Boman/?start=0
Unread August 13th, 2014, 06:02 AM

Niels,

Unless you want to build the 106 with the doors open to show off the gun and ammunition drum, then scratchbuilding the lump underneath should be the easiest thing in the world with plastic and Milliput.

Jens
Unread August 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM

1/48 scale?

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread August 13th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Default Trumpeter 'Six

Sorry that I failed to include that crucial information in the quasi-review I posted yesterday. My bad, as that's kinda important information. The new Trumpeter F-106 is in 1/48th scale.

I am going to try to post some sprue shots on line soon, as soon as i figure out how to do it. I plan to play around with the camera this evening.

Jeff
Unread August 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks Jeff,
I'd love to see some of the sprue shots....I'm really interested in this kit!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread August 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Default Sprue shots of Trumpeter's next 1/4 scale 'Six

Here ya go:

The box art

windscreen

blown frameless hood

separate vertical tail assembly

main L/G bay

decal sheet

photo-etched sheet

various sprues of main airframe

note average detail on main L/G wheel assembly: not as detailed as Monogram kit

note well done and accurate rounded access panel engraving on lower wing

As I said in my earlier post, it is very similar in breakdown, with a few notable exceptions, to the Monogram kit. However, it is extremely well molded with petit engraving and NO ejector pin marks except for inside of the intake pieces, which will be easy to fix.

Jeff
Unread August 16th, 2014, 07:36 PM
shibboleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNewton View Post
Here ya go:
image links broken...
Unread September 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Jeff
Any chance of fixing the photo links?

Thanks!

Unread September 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM

Jeff,

How do the intakes compare to the Monogram kit's and photos? There has been some rather heated discussion as to whether they pooched the intakes or not.

Thanks!

Ben
Unread September 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

What's up with the side nose profile?
Unread September 14th, 2014, 04:03 AM

The Trumpeter kit seems to have a more curved profile to the radome than the Monogram kit. Wonder if swapping radomes with unbuilt Monogram kits will do the trick?

Jens
Unread September 14th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Default Trumpy Six

For a price like that and my limited funds I'll stick with all my unbuilt Mono/Revels Six's.
Unread September 20th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Cybermodeler has a review.......

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ki...tru_2891.shtml

I just hope someone makes a nice Green Eagles decal set, among many others!

Rio
Semper Fi!
Unread October 4th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Caracals has a couple of decals coming out.
Part 1:
http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48060.html
Unread October 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
The Trumpeter kit seems to have a more curved profile to the radome than the Monogram kit. Wonder if swapping radomes with unbuilt Monogram kits will do the trick?

Jens

In a side by side comparison at Brit modeler there is basically no difference between Trump and Mono noses.
Both kits have incorrect intakes Trump more so.
Save your Monogram radomes for them they are still nice kits.
Unread October 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Question Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehowie View Post
In a side by side comparison at Brit modeler there is basically no difference between Trump and Mono noses.
Both kits have incorrect intakes Trump more so.
Save your Monogram radomes for them they are still nice kits.

Do you have a link to the review on B-Modeler?

Scott
CNJC-IPMS
Unread January 10th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Does anyone make aftermarket sixshooter for the -Dart? Always wanted to build one with it
Missing Link did a simple one and I know Roll Models still has them for $3.

http://www.rollmodels.net/standard/s...ng+Link+Models
Unread January 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Thanks, but tried to contact Rollmodels however got no reply
Their webpage haven't been updated for nearly 2 years, and I have heard rumours that they have closed shop?