Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Ship Modeling

Notices

Unread March 17th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Default Cold war incidents?

Seeing that there are a few ex-USN personnel here, I was wondering if there ever was a game of "chicken" or some minor collisions between a Spruance and a Sovremenny destroyer during the Cold War? Had this idea for a diorama, and was wondering how much artistic licence I would need to claim should I even finish it...

Edit: Having looked at Wikipedia for the Spruance classes, there were two contacts mentioned, one involving USS Caron in 1988 with a Mirka II frigate and one involving USS Fife and a Krivak I frigate in 1983. However, none of these Soviet/Russian ships are available as kits. The Caron/Mirka II does mention that the Soviets despatched a destroyer as well, but it doesn't mention any contacts. Could it be reasonably assumed that this destroyer (of unknown type) also took part in harassing/intimidating the US ship?

Jens

Last edited by Jens H. Brandal; March 18th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Unread August 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM

Sovremenny's, I think, really only came into front line service from the early 1980's. So although the Cold War still had 10 years to run, the bad-old-days of "poor" seamanship from the Soviets was cooling down. I think the Sovremenny's also represented a step up in technology, so where as an old 1960's FF/DD could probably take a few knocks, I doubt that a Sovremenny would want to. (That said i got to visit one in 1991 - impressive from a distance, but quite "agricultural" when up close).

i said early "poor seamanship", in reality it was generally quite deliberate, and in the case of incidents around USN & RN fixed wing carriers (maneuvering for fixed wing recoveries, with jets operating on marginal fuel limits) in the 1960s & 70s, considered pretty bad form. The Soviet Navy (and subsequent Russian Navy) have made (some) efforts since 1980 to become a little more professional......
Unread August 2nd, 2015, 12:08 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Thanks for that Fights-on. I'll come up with some other use for the kits then.

Jens