Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread December 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Thank you all and Good news!

I wanted to thank all that had donated to keep our crazy site up and running. You know who you are and you should wear your badge of pride well!

With that being said I wanted to take the opportunity to let you all in on the drama that lead to the site going down for a few days.

Firstly, the GoDaddy account was set to auto renew from a credit card that had expired. It took time to untie that issue, secondly GoDaddy had triple billed us, hence the outrageously high hosting renewal bill.

When we admins got together to and decided to ask for donations, we were somewhat morose, as we didn't expect to see the donation pour in as fast as they had, but by the time we were 3/4 the way to the goal, I was on the phone with GoDaddy customer support, when they broke the news that we were over-billed. I had planned to keep the donation drive active to upgrade the forum software and at this time I realized we already had it, so here's the good news:

WE HAVE vBULLETIN 5!!!!!

I have purchased the upgrade and I will be working over the holidays to get the new site ready for launch around new year's! The new version of the software will speed up our browsing, eliminate the spammer issues and it will be much more user friendly! Check out the stats here: http://www.vbulletin.com/features/

We have around $200 left over from the donation drive right now. I have read that many members have asked to make Z-5 more friendly to mobile devices, so I wanted to keep the donation drive open so we can bring in the money to buy the mobile device app add-on for $509.

Once again, thank you all for your donations and I am honored to help keep our playground alive for you all!

Thomas Doane
Unread December 8th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Internet Hero

OUTSTANDING!

Thank you and all the admins working on getting things back up and running. Definitely looking forward to the new software and the mobile app. That will all be fantastic!

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread December 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

Great job Thomas, thanks for all the hard work you and rest of the admins do in keeping the playground open for all of us.

If I may suggest, how about we set up a yearly donation drive in order to raise funds for either the renewal fees, upgrade costs or what every expenses that may be required to keep the playground open and to keep the financial burden from falling on only a select few.

Just a thought.
Unread December 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

Hooo boy, Christmas done come early for Z5! (alternatively, we could use those spare funds to buy Skull Leader a couple of those new Academy F-4Bs for his christmas.... just sayin'!)
Unread December 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
Hooo boy, Christmas done come early for Z5! (alternatively, we could use those spare funds to buy Skull Leader a couple of those new Academy F-4Bs for his christmas.... just sayin'!)
I can see it now; Skull on the side of the road with a sign reading "Zone-five admin - will work for kits!"
Unread December 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

with Skull and TT competing for the "best exit ramps"

just a question, though,,,,,,where did you ask for anything,,,,,,I didn't see it anywhere, in a public place,,,,,,did you just ask some people in private?

I ask, because I am used to the idea of donations from the members,,,and I am fairly sure you would get more than you need each year, if you provide some easy contact methods to send donations to
Unread December 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post

just a question, though,,,,,,where did you ask for anything,,,,,,I didn't see it anywhere, in a public place,,,,,,did you just ask some people in private?

I ask, because I am used to the idea of donations from the members,,,and I am fairly sure you would get more than you need each year, if you provide some easy contact methods to send donations to
I myself would have gladly donated also.But I had no idea it was needed.....
Unread December 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Internet Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot M. View Post
I myself would have gladly donated also.But I had no idea it was needed.....
There is a Zone-Five group on Facebook were the request was made. I thought about posting a link on ARC for the non-Facebook, but didn't want to push it because, well

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread December 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Hi:

I'm not a big facebook fan... Who can I send money to? I had no idea there was a drive to pay for it.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Unread December 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks to all the admins for getting this sorted out One of the BIG reasons I like this place so much is were all responsible for it's content AND it's exsistance on the web, we ALL own it and were not beholding to one admin who owns everything.

Jim

Thanks again!!!!

Fear the Bones

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will ask "How did we get caught?"

On the Bench
1/350 IJN Nagato
Unread December 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Global-warming is a farce

Send a message via Skype™ to Samurai_Chris

Thanks guys, appreciate the work, didn't realise there was a facebook page, not that I could have helped much with this anus horribilis we are trying to get through, but am definitely interested in other events in order to keep the site running into the future!
Unread December 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Avid Kit Starter

Seconded (fourthed, fifthed?). Had I known there was a need for donations, I'd have gladly chipped in. I'll check out the z-5 Facebook site, as I had no idea it existed.

Huge thanks to all who put the time and money in. As an IT admin myself, I know it can be a lot of work, with little recognition at the best of times. Well done, team!
Unread December 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Great job Thomas, thanks for all the hard work you and rest of the admins do in keeping the playground open for all of us.

If I may suggest, how about we set up a yearly donation drive in order to raise funds for either the renewal fees, upgrade costs or what every expenses that may be required to keep the playground open and to keep the financial burden from falling on only a select few.

Just a thought.
what he said
Unread December 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Please add my thanks as well. I really don't use Facebook - and was unaware of the need for funds. I helped with an IPMS club website for awhile, it's a long, boring, thankless job. A tip of the Xacto to ARC for helping get the word out - it was a decent thing to do. Thanks again guys, this is a great site, and I'm sure most of us would hate to see it go away.
Unread December 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

To all of those that ere interested in donating, Paypal the funds as a gift to tbone058@gmail.com
Unread December 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

We didn't push the donation thing on ARC because, well... that's Steve's house and it would be a bit like being a door to door salesman. I had put out a request to him about putting a message up about it, but a.) I think he's been away from the site for a few days and didn't see the message, and b.) support rolled in so quickly it rendered the point moot.