Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Sprue Brothers / Steel Beach

Notices

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Default Splinter Mask Question

I hate to sound dumb and ask a dumb question but...???

What is the painting sequence for using the mask??

Do I paint the entire jet the light gray first,,then the blue,then the midtone gray or???

(Glad I bought two sets In case I mess up.)

Thanks for doing these,,I just need a leading hand.

Rt4957
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Because of space limitations, I designed it to spray the white and the blue. I'd do the white first, then blue. When that's dry, go with the gray. I know the sequence is supposed to be from light to dark colors, but designing the patterns to cover the gray would have taken up more room on the sheet than I had. I need to get off my rear and spray my Eagle to see how it works. I probably should have done it before I put them on the market! LOL. The one thing to remember is that you probably won't get a "perfect" fit, but it will be close enough so that you only have to cover a few things on your own, and you don't have to cut out the major shapes. Let me know how it goes! I hope that it will make painting easier for you. That was my goal.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob View Post
Because of space limitations, I designed it to spray the white and the blue. I'd do the white first, then blue. When that's dry, go with the gray. I know the sequence is supposed to be from light to dark colors, but designing the patterns to cover the gray would have taken up more room on the sheet than I had. I need to get off my rear and spray my Eagle to see how it works. I probably should have done it before I put them on the market! LOL. The one thing to remember is that you probably won't get a "perfect" fit, but it will be close enough so that you only have to cover a few things on your own, and you don't have to cut out the major shapes. Let me know how it goes! I hope that it will make painting easier for you. That was my goal.

Hey D-Rob,
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine-white first, then blue and finally grey. I should have some of the paint on this weekend...I'll let you know how it goes.

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
Hey D-Rob,
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine-white first, then blue and finally grey. I should have some of the paint on this weekend...I'll let you know how it goes.
Brad . . . we need pictures, too!!!
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
Hey D-Rob,
Excellent! Please give feedback. I'm always open to suggestions. The whole mask thing is a relatively new process for me, so I'm learning as I go. I know that I'll booger up some things, but I'll learn and get better. I look back to when I first started resin and I cringe at how bad some of it was. I'm still nowhere near the big boys, but I like to think my stuff is functional and a good value.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the responses and help.

The masks seem like they`ll be a real help.I know for a fact that without them,,I`d probably have never thought of attempting the model.now I can do 2 since I have 2 sets (plus I`m secretly hoping I can reuse a set if I take them off carefully.)

Thanks for making things easier.

Rt4957
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt4957 View Post
Thanks for the responses and help.

The masks seem like they`ll be a real help.I know for a fact that without them,,I`d probably have never thought of attempting the model.now I can do 2 since I have 2 sets (plus I`m secretly hoping I can reuse a set if I take them off carefully.)

Thanks for making things easier.

Rt4957
You should be able to get them off and be able to use them again. I've used a couple of smaller sets 3-4 times. Have fun!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:16 PM

I just checked, and Sprue Brothers is out of stock on these. Will you be sending another shipment to them soon?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Die-Hard Yankees Fan

From D-Rob'd other post on this same topic:

The F-15 masks sold out at Sprue Brothers and I've got an order in for more to be cut. They should be done by the end of this week. Spitfire's are on the to-do list. I do apologize for the lack of activity. We sold our house in February and bought a new one in March. We moved in, but still aren't completely unpacked. I teach 2nd grade, and the end of the school year has also taken up much of my time. However, my last day is Thursday, and I'm planning on getting all the SB items, both resin and vinyl, back in stock and work started on new masks. All I can say is that I don't want to move again for a very, very long time!**
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrown View Post
I just checked, and Sprue Brothers is out of stock on these. Will you be sending another shipment to them soon?
They'll be coming soon. Thanks adamitri for quoting from the other thread. I probably should post an update.