Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Unread September 30th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Default Kinetic Viper

My search function doesn't seem to like "kinetic f-16", so I'm asking here.
Have there been any fixes to the shape of the nose of their F-16 kits?
Unread September 30th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Supposedly the later boxings, I bought one, taped it together, still doesn't look quite right to me...

Jeff
Unread September 30th, 2018, 01:55 PM

I'm still thinking about the DG/DJ kit, lots of things I want to do with it. What supplier have folks had the best luck with-price, shipping cost, etc? Prices are all over the place. Ebay prices are nuckin futs.
Unread October 6th, 2018, 11:14 AM
shibboleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefropas View Post
Supposedly the later boxings,
Emphasis on “Supposedly”...

I have two examples of one of the “post-fix” releases in my stash. One has the “fix” the other has the original nose. The two examples have identical box art and catalog number.

Last edited by Banker; October 6th, 2018 at 11:17 AM.
Unread October 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM

So is it worth it to build, or just to use the extra parts to make other kits better? I really want to build a bus, just donít really want the surgery. I can do it, just would prefer not to.
Unread October 9th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

their fix was halfhearted and depending on who you ask, potentially made the problem worse.

I personally didn't find it serious enough to worry about.

The kit can turn out a nice product, the thing is, they're a sand/fit/putty hound. So the question of whether or not it's worthwhile to build depends on how much you enjoy sanding/test fitting everything.
Unread October 10th, 2018, 01:20 PM

I started their NSAWC kit to be built as a "B". As was stated, not a fall together kit, but I tend to enjoy the challenge of test fit, putty and sand. If you're expecting Hasegawa / Tamiya, its not that. It is intersting that the parts breakdown similarly to the Tamiya kit, although there cant be too many options for a smaller AC like this. Nothing that cant be overcome with some patience and planning though. My understanding is that this one has the "corrected" nose and it looks alright to me. I tend to fall into the "close enough" group when it comes to kit accuracy, so take this into consideration. I have read where those who know F-16's better than I have said it is still off the mark.

My biggest hiccup so far has been trying to figure out hot to get me Aires cockpit to fit correctly. I just ordered the Melampy book on early vipers to help. Frankly, the kit cockpit is awfully nice, I just have this addiction to resin cockpits. I built the kit cockpit up and test fitted it. Its awfully nice. As for the fit so far, these are my observations up to now:
- there are a lot of ejector punch out on my kit where something didn't quite line up and they are 1/4" long crescent shaped. Easy enough to trim off, and not in visible areas.
- The parts for the full depth intake trunking fit really well.
- fitting the intake section forward of the Main gear bay is a little challenging, the parts will fight you on lining up in width. I ended up trimming a little of the main gear well to allow for a better fit. This is FAR EASIER to deal with if you attach this before joining the top and bottom fuselage together.
- the seam where you attach the front half of the upper fuselage to the rear leaves a seam that is more pronounced than you would get with the Tamiya kit. It will need some patience and fiddling.
- there are multi parts for the nose in front of the cockpit, one on the top and one on each side. Again, take your time up front and you will have to do minimal sanding and filling afterwards.
- the tail is also a multi part affair and, just like the other areas already mentioned, you need to test fit, sand and fiddle before gluing.
- I havent attached the top and bottom yet (cockpit kicking my butt issue), but I've test fitted it a couple of times, and it should go together well. The nose side panels cover the front seam and the fit at the leading edge extensions looks spot on. The seam from the wings back looks to need some "encouragement", but I'm not overly concerned since its basically the only spot on the whole plane that is flat and should sand easily.
- I cant speak to how the top and bottom of the wings join up.

Just glancing through the parts in that kit, I believe you have the bases covered for any A or B model, US or other. They even have the ADF tail as an optional part. Finally a kit for my 127 TFW decals.

I just finished a Hasegawa F-15C and F/A-18C, and while it isnt falling together, I am really enjoying this build so far.
Unread October 11th, 2018, 07:06 AM

I've built a few Kinetic Vipers and agree with planeboy but I would save the hassles and buy the Tamiya offering. It's a great build and worth the extra money. What is nice about Kinetic is all the ordnance you usually get with the kit.
Unread October 11th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

price is kind of a good determining factor too. The cheaper the Kinetic (now reboxed italeri too) is, the more attractive alternative it can be to the Tamiya.

Then again, if you can snag the Tamiya kit for a good price, the Kinetic shouldn't even be in the argument.
Unread October 11th, 2018, 07:23 AM

I’ve got a half dozen Tam kits, just don’t want to cut them or the 3-4 Has kits up to make a D. I do like the extras, now if I get a Kin, it’d prob be for that.
Unread October 12th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Check E-Bay. Plenty of Kinetics type you want and no surgery necessary.
Unread October 12th, 2018, 11:30 AM

eBay shipping is kinda ridiculous. Maybe a good price for the kit, but the shipping is nuts. I think I’m to wait a bit. Just let things simmer a little.
Unread October 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM

Just an FYI. If you're considering adding the Aires cockpit to the Kinetic F-16B. DON'T!!!!! I'm a couple of hours into sanding / scraping / cussing. I've installed Aires before, so I know they take some "convincing" to get installed, but this cockpit fit is crap. I've run out of plastic and resin to sand away and the front of the cockpit still sits too low and to get it to the proper height (flush with the cockpit rails) it spreads out the fuselage.