Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Marine Aviation GB > Project Threads

Notices

Unread March 2nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Internet Hero

One more sanding and a coat of primer:

One small detail to point out. I carved out the afterburner (I think its the afterburner) cooling air scoops.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread March 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
S/F not just a saying

Looking good.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread March 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Looks great! Just remember to re-scribe or draw in the breaks between the upper wing/fuselage joints. As you are aware, the wing lifts up, so that area should not be filled and sanded smooth.
Unread March 3rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

looks great,,,,,looks just like it was molded that way

you'll have something that stands out a bit from the other F8U-2NE's when you get done

Rex
Unread March 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Internet Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Looking good.
Tanks TANK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Roof View Post
Looks great! Just remember to re-scribe or draw in the breaks between the upper wing/fuselage joints. As you are aware, the wing lifts up, so that area should not be filled and sanded smooth.
You are correct Dave! It just doesn't look "right" yet without the break. I need to figure out how I'm going to tackle it, either with my Tam scribing tool or a needle in a pin vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post
looks great,,,,,looks just like it was molded that way

you'll have something that stands out a bit from the other F8U-2NE's when you get done

Rex
Thanks again Rex. Your posts in the other thread really helped me decide to go this rought.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread December 5th, 2011, 06:27 AM

What happened to this build? It looks like you succeeded in performing major surgery and were ready to move on to the painting stage. Any updates?
Unread December 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Internet Hero

I picked this up again. Have some shrinkage around the surgery area that I've taken care of. I've also started painting/touching up some of the trim colors.

Still need to scribe the break at the front of the wing and I might try to sharpen the definition of the fairing a little bit.

Per the tweek list, and looking at some photos, I thinned exhaust nozzle, fuselage and repainted.

I’m off to Europe for a couple of weeks for work on Saturday. Hope to pick this up before Xmas. Need to paint the vertical tail fairing and instrument panel shroud black, attach the front canopy, rescribe the fuse/wing break. Then I can paint the white & grey and it will look like I’m making progress again!

Unread December 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM

It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!
Unread December 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
S/F not just a saying

Looking good.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread January 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Internet Hero

Time for an update! I've been making slow but steady progress on painting all the trim colors before the Gull Grey coat. Mostly it's been touching up, then touching up the overspray from the touching up. I think I've finally got it though...the black, the blue, the corogaurd for the leading edges (Floquil Old Silver) and the white undersides of the wings & control surfaces.

Now I'm painting the Gull Grey / White in a funny order. After masking off the LE for the Corogaurd, I've painted the undersides of the wings white.

For the Gull Grey, I'll mask off the underside of the wing and the other Corogaurd LE. Last I'll paint the white for the underside of the fuselage. Kind of a weird order, but I figured it would be easier to mask. I'm thinking I'll try to paint the black front canopy frame and anti glare last after decal & clear coat. That way it will have that real flat appearance.

Last edited by Sabre Freak; January 13th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Unread January 13th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Internet Hero

Before applying the grey, I wanted to get the gunsite glass, front canopy and the IR sensor thingy attached:

There was know way the front canopy would fit using the kit part for the gunsite glass (it was way to think), so I quick made one out of the some clear plastic packaging.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have a little bit of a seam on the left side there. I'll let everything dry for now, then go back and carefully put some thin CA around the IR sensor. Next I'll try to brush some Mr. Surfacer around the frame to minimize any seams there.

Last edited by Sabre Freak; January 13th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Unread January 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Good to see you making progress on this again!
Unread January 23rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Internet Hero

In case you were wondering about the nose gear...here is where we left it:

To finish it's assembly, I painted everything white with the idea I'd paint it white again. I also had to rebuild the trailing link. Used some .015 styrene sheet to extend it to accommodate the extension of the strut.

Here is everything glued together, with the last coat of white

Unread January 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Internet Hero

Not the last coat of white paint on that NG!

Eagle Eyed JohnB noticed I forgot to sand off the horns on the front. Nice catch man, thanks!

Snip, Snip, sand, sand.

Unread January 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Not the last coat of white paint on that NG!

Eagle Eyed JohnB noticed I forgot to sand off the horns on the front. Nice catch man, thanks!

Snip, Snip, sand, sand.
LOL! Anyone who has met me in-person knows I'm far from eagle-eyed!
Unread January 29th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Internet Hero

FLASH FLASH FLASH

I'm actually painting the darn thing Gull Grey! Finally!

While I'm between coats, I'll bring you guys up to speed. Here is some of the work I've done to get to that point, but haven't posted.

I'm going for a closed cockpit. While sanding the front windscreen so the canopy would have more room to fit, I squared of the radius at the windscreen, canopy, fuselage junction. Had to add some tiny pieces of strip and reshape. I don't have a before, I just have during and after.

And here is how the fit turned out

That was one hurdle. The other was re-scribing the break between the fuselage and wings. Done. Considering how many different materials there are, I'm happy it looks as good as it does.

Last little task was to drill some new holes for the single rail pylons. To all those that helped with the research...Thanks Again!

Here they are test fitted. The left side drops a little, but easily corrected when the get glued.

It parallel to all this, I started to get antsy about stencils. Neither the Aeromaster nor Monogram decals have any stencils. When I started the project, I made a half hearted effort to locate some, but as far as I could tell, they were long OOP. Didn't sweat it at the time, because with what few photos I had, I couldn't make out any stencils anyway. A couple of weeks ago I revisited the issue and decided with some new photos, yes there were stencils. Thanks to Ebay and a sale on ARC, I know have 2 options. Microscale 48-211 (F-8C VF-84) has a set I can rob that will help make the airframe look busy. I've also scored a SuperScale 48-283 (F-8 Crusader Data), but man it has a lot of stencils. I was thinking of using the placement guide from 211 for a minimum set, using the decals from 283. The 211 sheet just seems to nice to use as a stencil donor.

That's all for now. Time to apply a second coat of grey!

Last edited by Sabre Freak; January 29th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Unread January 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Internet Hero

And the painting! Iphone photos, was kinda in a rush.

Into paint:

Outta:

Just need to paint the bottom of the fuse white (and the front windscreen, but I want try to do that last)

Unread February 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Internet Hero

Photos from the final round of painting.

First, my new spray booth and the finale white coat (Floquil Reefer White) on the underside of the fuselage:

Usually I use paper masks attached with Blu-Tac to the model. This was the first time I tried Blu-Tac "rolls". Last was some Tam Chrome Silver for the fuselage were the elevators are:

My masking doesn't look to strait does it?

Last edited by Sabre Freak; February 12th, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Unread February 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM

It's good to see your project proceeding along!
Unread February 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Internet Hero

Ready to decal!

Finished the paint weekend before last then get 2 coats of MM Acrylic Gloss on this last weekend. If I didn't have to travel to Aberdeen so stinkin' early this AM, I would have been decalling rather than taking pics for an update!

There are a couple of touch-ups here and there. Overall I'm delighted with how the paint looks, and the demarcation I got with my first experience using a blu-tak "roll".

Last edited by Sabre Freak; February 13th, 2012 at 08:34 AM.