Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:51 PM

nice work, looking good, and way to keep just digging and get those things done!
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:02 PM

Wardog, thanks for the information but I did have an anxiety attack for a bit! I rechecked some references and indeed you are correct about the first stage compressor diameter. Not sure where I got 38" from, perhaps from an outside measurement. The inside diameter of the castings measure out to be just under 33" a bit less than 2 scale inches big, which is close enough for my modest efforts!

Hitch, you are absolutely right, most of these efforts will be unnoticed by most. It is one of those things we do as modellers for our own satisfaction. To me the gaping intakes are an iconic feature of the big Grummans that I just had to try and recreate.

Eddie M. I have to admit that this series is twice what I usually get done in a year!

Thanks ghoule, I'm in the midst of removing the armor and rescribing the EA-6A and prowler wings now. I hope to have an update next weekend, for now here's a couple quick pics.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

Last edited by Yankymodeler; May 17th, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM

Either way you look at it your build is phenomenal. I'm in awe as to how fast you can build yet still maintain an excellent quality of build. Looking back now I wish I would have had the foresight to enlarge the intake openings on my build as your examples look great and the large intakes really make those birds stand out.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Seems to be a lot of work and time, has passed yet not much to show. Although I still have to install the intakes in the Prowlers, there is quite a bit of preparation and I admit to being burned out on the process. So I've turned my attention to the wings. The Kinetic and Italeri Prowlers were designed to allow the wings to be displayed folded. I noted a small amount of warping, particularly on the Italeri moldings so the upper inner and outer sections were glued laying on a flat surface and styrene plates used to reinforce the joint. When adding the bottom outboard sections, files were strategically clamped onto the the assemblies as they dried to keep the leading and trailing edges straight.
Note the armor inboard just forward of the flaps

A check of the references showed a few corrections were needed. Intruders carry armor beneath the inboard sections of the wings just ahead of the flaps, this armor protects the hydraulic motors and actuators for the flaps and spoilers. EA-6As and Prowlers do not feature these plates.
As noted earlier in the build, the Revell EA-6A molds are derived from the A-6A molds. So it was not surprising when inspection revealed armor plate molded to the underside of both the A6 and EA-6A wings. What I did find surprising was the presence of armor on the Kinetic Prowlers! A bit of work with a motor tool, file and sandpaper soon removed the armor being sure not to get the two wings intended for the Intruders mixed in!
Kinetic Prowler on the left, Revell Intruder on the right

The Revell kits feature raised panel lines, the Kinetic/Italeri somewhat soft recessed ones. As I prefer recessed panel lines and want the models to exhibit a definite family resemblance, I needed to scribe the Revell kits. I began the process by removing the raised lines, while I had a knife and file out, I also removed the wing fences as the Revell's seemed to be a bit short and the Kinetic much too thick as well as short. It was in removing the fences from the Prowlers that I noticed the outboard fence was missing from the left wing of the two Italeri boxings!

Because I had 5 sets of Intruder wings to scribe, I made up templates from clear plastic recycled from packaging. The clear plastic allowed the templates to be easily positioned to reference marks and tape used to secure in place. A needle held in a knife handle is one of my primary tools for scribing.

The upper surfaces are now complete, and there is a bit left to do on the lower so I best get back to work!
Thank you for the interest!

Last edited by Yankymodeler; May 16th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM

never thought of using clear plastic for templates for scribing brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Migrant Nitpicker

Send a message via MSN to Winter Lion Send a message via Yahoo to Winter Lion

Seek help. There are new meds on the market......lol
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Sir incredible work you are doing here...... This is a real assembly line!!! Cheers, Marco.
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Lion View Post
Seek help. There are new meds on the market......lol
LOL, nutter
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Migrant Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
LOL, nutter
Lol.....just teasing. Outstanding work. That's how we used to build. But it was one at a time.

Love your house. That Xmas tree is epic. Love your work station. You aren't hiding out back.

Your workmanship is top notch. I always had issues with getting my rescribes cleaned up for paint. You got guts too!

Sweet post.....thank you.

Winter
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Lol.....just teasing. Outstanding work. That's how we used to build. But it was one at a time.

Love your house. That Xmas tree is epic. Love your work station. You aren't hiding out back.

Your workmanship is top notch. I always had issues with getting my rescribes cleaned up for paint. You got guts too!

Sweet post.....thank you.

Winter
No worries at all! I took the comments all in good fun. Besides I can't argue the point, this build did get just a little out of hand...

As I write, I've finished the scribing on the bottom of the Intruder wings and am gluing them together. I have to do it in stages as I don't have enough clamps!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Eric aka The Yankymodeler
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:06 PM

Once again it seems like a lot of work , yet not a lot of progress to show. Just to assure I haven’t been dragged to the netherworld by an incensed carpet monster, here is a small update…
I had thought I would get back to the Growlers, but one last hurdle remained for the Intruders. Having reasonable success with the intakes and ducts for the Grummans, I turned to the tailpipes. Using the kit parts for the Prowlers, a two piece mold was produced and duplicates cast. The result was more like a vacuform kit than resin parts!

After clean-up the halves were joined with epoxy care being taken to keep the inside as smooth as possible. Six sets of tailpipes were fabricated.

The exit of the tailpipes was simplified on both the Revell and Kinetic kits, being molded as part of the upper and lower wing parts. A motor tool was used to open up the tailpipe exit.

The J-52 engine was also used in the A-4, digging through the stash I found a Hasegawa A-4 kit and cast a number of copies of the nicely detailed tailpipes. A bit of file work and the casting slips into place, adding a nice bit of detail.

The tailpipes are tested for fit.

The sides of the fuselages needed to be opened up to allow the tailpipes to curve prototypically inboard.

Finally some visible progress! The first set of wings is joined to an EA-6A fuselage.

Thanks for the interest and support! Eric aka The Yankymodeler
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Migrant Nitpicker

Why do you use 2 different fillers?

I use the squadron green and never could get the white to stick.

Is there a set of parameters that you go by?

Winter
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Why do you use 2 different fillers?

I use the squadron green and never could get the white to stick.

Is there a set of parameters that you go by?

Winter
Although I will use different fillers at times, so far on this build what you see used here is squadron greenstuff. Priming has been don with either grey or black, any white you see is probably resin.

Eric
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Migrant Nitpicker

Ohhhhhh......ok.

Thank you. Biggest project I have ever witnessed.

Winter
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM

Fantastic
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM

My apologies for such a long time between updates, the summer season is usually a slow building time for me. However, some progress has been made. The wings have been attached to all the Intruders with much shimming and trimming to get the proper dihedral. Despite considerable effort expanded to obtain the best fit, a substantial amount of filler was required to fair in the roots and create the proper profile.

The cockpit tubes were now installed. With the intakes, nose wheel well and cockpit, the forward portion of the fuselage is a crowded place, To fit the cockpit tubs both the corners of the tub and the tops of the intakes needed to be carefully trimmed.

Simply repeat 5 times!

As noted in the previous update, both the A-4 and the Intruder used the Pratt & Whitney J-52 engine, so to add a bit of detail to the exhaust exit, nozzles were cast from a master borrowed from a Hasegawa A-4 kit part. As the Hasegawa nozzle was designed with external contours for a Skyhawk a bit of sanding was needed to prepare the castings for installation in the Intruders.

Turbine faces were cast using Prowler kit pieces, painted, highlighted and epoxied to the previously manufactured tailpipes.

The tailpipe exit shrouds were refined with round files and sandpaper until the resin nozzles fit without distortion. A delicate touch was necessary at this point as the walls needed to be quite thin.

Much to my surprise, the pieces seem to fit ok.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Migrant Nitpicker

That squadron and your mates must really be excited.

Winter
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM

Once again I find myself offering apologies for an extended time between updates. A combination of a busy summer schedule and builder burn-out conspired to dampen my enthusiasm for a time. My mojo now on the re-bound, it is time to continue to bring the Growlers up to an acceptable standard.
The vertical stabilizers were prepared for installation by refining the antenna and opening the vent. On the real Super Hornets as the hydraulic pressure bleeds off the rudders will move under the force of gravity and influence of any wind. The rudders were repositioned to represent this droop.

With careful attention to reference pictures to obtain the proper angle, the tails were attached.

Attention was then turned to the wing-fold hinge covers. The kit moldings are too rounded with heavy scribed hinge lines. To somewhat rectify this, the cover was removed and a more accurately shaped replacement fabricated with styrene.

Both top and bottom wing-fold covers were replaced.

As usual, simply repeat three times!

The finished wing-fold is definitely an improvement over the original

When it came time to install the flap and aileron hinges it was readily apparent that the kit pieces bear no resemblance to the real thing. A thin styrene strip was attached to the lower aft edge of the wing to represent the cove that fairs the flaps when retracted.
Next update will address fabricating new hinges.
The cockpits have been given a coat of grey. The styrene strip sill looks good and detail painting can start.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM

Once again more time than I intended between updates, though I did manage to get a trip to the Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio in this past weekend!
Turning next to fabricating the flap and aileron hinges, inspection of reference pictures revealed my initial impression that the hinges where simply graduated sizes of a tapered triangle was far from accurate. Each hinge was unique in size and details, and there even seemed to be slight changes made between blocks of the production run!
Dimensions were obtained from reference pictures by measuring ratios of the wing and flap cords in relation to the hinge length and scaling them to the kit dimensions. The bulbous inner aileron hinge (housing the actuator) from the kit was modified for use.

Three strips of styrene were cut to size, their width matching the length of the inner, outer flap, and outer aileron hinge, thickness matching the needed hinge thickness. The strips were tapered across the width with file and sandpaper.

A razor saw (donated years ago by my good friend SW) was used to cut wedges.

Notches were cut, styrene shapes used to fabricate the characteristics unique for each hinge.

The final result looks pretty good.

As usual, repeat three times!

The kit tailhooks were crude moldings, so various files were used to carve hookpoint details. I of course forgot to take a picture of the ‘before’, but the after is a reasonable facsimile.

The airframes were given a coat of primer to check the added details. A few rough areas will need attention but overall are satisfactory.

Aires ECU vents prepared for installation.

Instrument panels and rear deck details were test fitted before beginning cockpit painting.

Thats all for now, thanks for your interest!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM

A bit of progress on the Intruders to report. Work now turns toward the cockpits.

The cockpit of the Intruder/Prowler has a very ‘busy’ look, with many systems in view through the large canopy. Systems within the rear deck and under the canopy are the first that come to mind and there have been a number of impressive builds featuring details in this area. The Intruder pilot’s seat is located on the left side of the cockpit, slightly higher and forward. A number of systems are located behind the seat including control linkages and bellcrank housings that allow the linkages to pass through the pressurization bulkhead, and oxygen system. There is not much reference to this part of the cockpit so I was fortunate that my project sponsor, TM, had turned wrenches on both the Prowlers and Intruder and retained enough details in his memories to fill in the blanks left by research.

Although I was able to locate aftermarket cockpits for the Prowlers and Growlers in the form of the superlative Aires resin sets, I was unable to find a comparative replacement for the Intruders. With no alternative I had to resort to one of my weakest skills and attempt to scratchbuild the needed details. I simplified the area behind the pilots seat down to the bellcrank housings, control rods for the elevators, ailerons and control input inertial feel unit along with the cockpit side bellcrank arms, gaseous oxygen generator and accumulator.

Drilling holes to represent the shield over the oxygen generator. An exercise in patience!

This is sufficient to convincingly ‘fill up’ the space behind the pilot seat. Care was taken to be sure the seat, instrument panel and glare shield remained in proper relationship to each other.

As usual, simply repeat six times!

For those who have been following this project, you may have noted an 'extra' cockpit in the group pic. I have added one more model to the production line, this is destined to become a KA-6D.
Thank you for your interest!

Tags
italeri ea-18g, kinetic prowler, revell intruder