Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Ordnance and Things under Wings

Notices

Unread November 25th, 2016, 12:05 AM

Default Mk.62 Quickstrike mine question

G'day,

This is one for all the ordies out there regarding 500lb quick strike mines.

What I know:

The Mk.62 is based on the Mk.82 series body with a different fuse and tail (aerofoil) unit. From what I have read, there are 6 OA's (operational authorities?),

OA 2 & 3 uses the Mk.15 fin
OA 9 uses the Mk-86/B fin
OA 6, 12, 13 use the Mk.16 fin for F/A-18, B-1 and B-2 applications.

What I want to know:

I have seen pictures of the Mk.62 QS with white or very light grey bodies that have red bands on them. These also have the words "INERT" stenciled on them.

1. Does a warshot (HE)Mk.62 have a standard Olive Drab body and one (two with gator skins?) yellow bands?

2. What type of tail would an A-6E have used? I am guessing OA 2, 3 or 9 would apply so it is likely to be either the MK.15 or MK-86/B?

cheers,

Pappy
Unread November 26th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
G'day,

This is one for all the ordies out there regarding 500lb quick strike mines.

What I know:

The Mk.62 is based on the Mk.82 series body with a different fuse and tail (aerofoil) unit. From what I have read, there are 6 OA's (operational authorities?),

OA 2 & 3 uses the Mk.15 fin
OA 9 uses the Mk-86/B fin
OA 6, 12, 13 use the Mk.16 fin for F/A-18, B-1 and B-2 applications.

What I want to know:

I have seen pictures of the Mk.62 QS with white or very light grey bodies that have red bands on them. These also have the words "INERT" stenciled on them.

1. Does a warshot (HE)Mk.62 have a standard Olive Drab body and one (two with gator skins?) yellow bands?

2. What type of tail would an A-6E have used? I am guessing OA 2, 3 or 9 would apply so it is likely to be either the MK.15 or MK-86/B (BSU-86/B)?

cheers,

Pappy
For tactical (warshot) Mk 62s' the bomb body would be green (OD) with either 1 or 2 yellow stripes on the nose, in addition, it would have a white stripe at the center of the bomb body and four horizontal strips at the aft end of the bomb body at the 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30 positions (basically X pattern).

The Mk 15 fin would be the most common and easily to find use; all you have to do is fair in the fuze with the bomb body and painted like a Quickstrike mine.

You can do a BSU-86 fin but to my knowledge no one makes them in any scale, they are very different from the Mk 15 fin.

The mines you see with white/light grey bomb bodies are exercise mines and the red stripes are actually orange, just the color in the photos is skewed.

Also, there is a lot of info on the Mk 62 in this thread (don't worry about the title, it was a typo):

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=29642

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Unread November 27th, 2016, 02:00 AM

G'day GW,

Thanks very much, that has answered my questions beautifully,

cheers,

Pappy