Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Flightline

Notices

Unread November 22nd, 2017, 09:11 AM

Default 1:72 Monogram F-2XL

It's the venerable Monogram F-16XL kit done up as a JASDF F-2 variant. I've had this awful kit in the stash for a while and pulled it out for my local club's build day. After I got started, I just had to finish it. I've always liked the JASDF jets with their colorful schemes so I decided to do a what-if on this bird.

The kit is not so good - the raised panel lines in particular were very frustrating and I decided not to rescribe or anything. Incidentally, I've been doing a lot of small scale figures lately, so I've gotten a lot better at them. The pilot and cockpit are the best I've ever done at this scale. Unfortunately, it has a tinted canopy... I also replaced the wingtip launchers and loaded it up with a bunch of AIM-120C's from an F-22 kit. Note that the tail is painted - it's not a decal. I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut a mask for it, sort of based on some actual JASDF F-2A tail art.

The thing carries a ton of ordnance. I may actually add some Japanese anti-ship missiles to the 2 hardpoints that are currently empty. This isn't going to win any awards, but I had a lot of fun building it.

Recently completed:
1:72 X-47B, 1:72 P-51D, 1:72 F-2XL, 1:35 Triceratops, 1:72 A-4M, 1:72 Yak-55M, 1:72 JAS-39C Gripen
On the bench:
1:32 A6M5 Zero, 1:72 Skyhawks, 1:72 MQ-9 Reaper, 1:24 Harrier GR.1, 1:72 B-24D, 1:144 Space Shuttle

Last edited by edsunder; November 22nd, 2017 at 09:14 AM.
Unread November 22nd, 2017, 05:58 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

NIIOOOCCEEEEE

I remember building that kit when I was a kid (yea, it's that old), it was pretty good back then, how have times changed.

Nice build, great scheme and paint job.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.