Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Phifties Phreak

Default F9F-8 Cougar by FM in 1/48

COUGAR FANS: I am looking at the Fonderie Miniature Cougar in 1/48 scale as my next build. My first look at it was not positive since the surface pebbling leaves much to be desired. But, I found the plastic to be not too hard and the pebbling seemed to be pretty easy to adequately smooth out. But then I had panel lines to think about. Such is modeling!

This kit is obviously, at least to me, based upon the Monogram F9F Panther kit, a fact that I find comforting given the outline of the Monogram Panther and the apparent accuracy of the panel lines albeit they are raised. Can work with that.

And it is obvious that the interior and other cavities, such as the nose gear well and dive brake stuff are based upon the Monogram Panther - all good. BTW, the Monogram canopy is a perfect fit to the FM kit.

OK - I've made some statements of my impression of the FM F9F-8 Cougar.

Whaddyathink?

PhOG

Aim high, and always check your six.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Steel Beach Resin

I built one awhile ago, so I'm kinda foggy on the details. I don't remember there being any huge issues. It's a pretty easy shape. It was easier than the Collect Aire kit, IIRC. It builds up into a nice looking Cougar.
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:07 AM

Pretty challenging kit. The surface of the plastic is terrible. Almost like an orange peel effect. Fit left a lot to be desired. Here is how mine turned out. I was pretty new to modeling when I built it, so your results would probably be better.

Brandon
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Regular schmoe...

Brandon, that looks awesome.

Can't understand why Monogram or Trumpeter haven't kept the ball rolling on the F9F series...?

"People drift towards liberalism at a young age, and I always hope they change when they see how the world really is." - Johnny Ramone

I'd rather be at KNHZ...

MAINT. CONTROL:

IW
1/48 Kitty Hawk SH-2F Seasprite

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!

Last edited by Whitey; April 25th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Phifties Phreak

Brandon - Thank you for your post. Your results with this kit are very encouraging. If I can just begin to match your work I will be ecstatic!! Looks like the decals went down pretty well. Very nice work!

Aim high, and always check your six.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Brandon, that looks awesome.

Can't understand why Monogram or Trumpeter haven't kept the ball rolling on the F9F series...?
You didn't see Monograms Cougar?
http://s125.photobucket.com/user/hai...l?sort=3&o=609
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Internet Hero

I thought it was more 1/50...and older than I am

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:11 PM

The one I posted is a Monogram conversion i started years ago using my resin. The old Revell kit is the odd scale one.
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Love the scheme and paint work on that one!

Brandon
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster463 View Post
Brandon - Thank you for your post. Your results with this kit are very encouraging. If I can just begin to match your work I will be ecstatic!! Looks like the decals went down pretty well. Very nice work!
My pleasure! Like I said the kit leaves a lot to be desired, but can be built up into a decent representation. For the surface pebbling I just sanded it down and the sprayed it down with a couple of thick coats of Mr Surfacer thinned down and sprayed as primer, and then sanded it down again. It did not get rid of the pebbling totally, aand the gloss coat really shows it off, but if you are going to do a subject with a flat coat, or not as glossy then it will look fine. As you stated the plastic is really soft. One other thing I wish I would have done is sanded the transparencies down with some 6000-12000 to polish them out better before the future dip. As you can see they are thick and not very clear. The speed brakes are a real pain, and a lot of the build up on them are done with provided PE in the Kit. The decals are not bad, but I messed the ones up that go around the stabs, so I just ended up painting them. Just get in the mindset that you are going to be using some putty, and it should turn out pretty good for you. Like the others have stated it would be nice to see the Cougar kitted up to modern standards. It such a beautiful aircraft.

Brandon
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Hmmm... IF (and that's a big IF) Revell-Monogram were to use the F9F-5 as a basis for a F9F-6/8 series, what would they really to make as a new-tooled parts? Wings, stabs, fuselage, and wing pylons, right? The IFR would be a seperate part. The most radical evolution would be the F9F-8T. The F9F-8P could be handled with a seperate/modular mold like the F9F-5/5P.

That is, IF they wanted to do it and IF they didn't want to make a 100% new kit. Am I right?