View Single Post
Unread August 25th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Be cool....like me....drive a Micra.

Default Manton's Marvellous Maskol Masking Method.

So I thought I'd show you how I masked out one of my latest builds, my 1/48 Kinetic Flanker.After having a bottle of Humbrol Maskal in my tool kit for decades I have finally figured out a system to use it that works for me.

The first thing I do is use very thin strips of masking tape, I use Tamiya tape, to mark out the area to be painted, the thin strips lets me get some quite tight curves, and press this down well. In the photo I am masking out to respray the dark blue.

Once pressed down firmly I apply Maskal outside the line to about a ⅛" depth, the photo shows it a bit deeper because of the curves and bumps in the airframe. To apply the Maskol I use a bit of brass brazing rod that I have beaten into shape.

The advantages of using this tool over a brush are that I can load the tip with Maskol and place it accurately , there is no risk of contamination from rust and the tip can be wiped clean every couple of dips.

Once the Maskol around the tape has gone off I then use pieces of tissue paper torn roughly into the shape of the edge I'm masking and apply a thin strip of Maskol to the edge of the tissue and use that to stick the tissue to the Maskol already on the model.

Any small gaps can be filled with Maskol which can also be used to stick down any flapping edges of tissue to the model and to the tissue.

Once down and dry you can then spray away. Keep the Maskol and dibber close though as as soon as you start spraying a piece of tissue is bound to start flapping about and need tacking down.

I hope this is of use to someone.

Last edited by Rory; August 25th, 2016 at 02:02 PM.